Subject: Community News Makes History
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:19:46 -0400

Media Advisory  (aprox.  730 words)

Gay Paper Makes History

On Saturday, April 13, 1996, Community News, one of Florida's largest lesbian
& gay newspapers entered a float in the Springtime Tallahassee Parade.
Entitled "Rights of Spring" the float  celebrated Love, Life and Liberty for
all people.  

The Community News float was the first openly lesbian/gay themed float in
Springtime history.  "While some people have called to complain about our
participation in an event that has Andrew Jackson as its mascot, most people
have reacted positively," said Ian Granick, publisher of Community News.  "We
certainly have no love of Jackson and would prefer if he were not part of the
parade but I think the level of visibility we achieved for both the Community
News and the lesbian/gay community far out weighs the negative association."
 Andrew Jackson was at one time a Florida Regional Governor and an American
President.  He is attributed for the deaths and displacement of many  Native
Americans and other people of color.

Early in the day on Wednesday (April 10, 1996), after an article about
Community News' participation ran in the Tallahassee Democrat, a local
newspaper, several area church groups reacted.  One private Christian high
school went so far as to pull their student marching band out of the
Springtime Festival in protest to the gay and lesbian presence.  In a letter
to the Springtime Committee, they said that they were concerned about "a
lowering of community standards."

Granick offered this:  "I am quite dismayed.  The message we are promoting
with this float is Love, Life and Liberty for all people.  Exactly which
community standard does that violate?  Obviously, these individuals are
confused about who gays and lesbians are.  This is why we are placing a float
in the parade-to raise community awareness."
As far as the marching band withdrawal,  says Granick, "I think it is quite
unfortunate for the young people involved.  They have obviously worked very
hard to prepare for this day. To have an authority figure come in and make
such a severe decision based only on his confusion and his prejudice causes
me great concern.  Its very poor role modeling."

Thursday morning (April 11, 1996) Community News issued a statement welcoming
students from North Florida Christian School's marching band to join them
under the Community News banner. "These young people have done a lot of work
to prepare for this day," said Granick.  "It is a shame to see such talent go
to waste over fear and bigotry.  If the students want to march in the parade,
they can march with us."

In a statement faxed to the Community News, the school declined the
invitation "due to our moral and religious conflicts."  "We feel your offer
undermines our administration's position of authority by suggesting we would
not stand behind their decision," said the statement, signed by the
student-body president, senior class president and student-body chaplain.
  Students were prohibited from attending.  

Despite the brewing controversy, which received national attention (CNN
covered the story, an article was sent out over the AP wire service and
people tuning into talk shows across the southern United States were able to
comment on the situation) and threats of boycotts and protests, the parade
went smoothly.

The float, which was decked out in live greenery, hundreds of white and
purple balloons and rainbow flags sailed down "main street" unmolested.  A 15
member walking contingent, wearing Community News t-shirts with the slogan
"Oh my God!  It's a Queer Paper!" printed on the back, handed out mardi gras
beads and copies of Community News to spectators.  According to city
officials and local press accounts, approximately, 150,000 people were in
attendance.

"It was flawless," said Christy Evans, who was in charged of costuming  and
decorations.  "We had 14 blocks of standing ovations."

"It was very encouraging," agreed Granick. "I think we really accomplished
something here today."

When asked by a reporter how he would explain the presence of a gay and
lesbian float to his children, spectator and parent Chris Card pointed to a
pack of men wearing "Saturday Night Live" coneheads and said"   "It's harder
to explain people like this.  The coneheads are a little harder to explain. "

Community News, is headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida and is read monthly
by 15,000 people in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.  

For more info, call Ian Granick at (904) 671-7982 or (904) 222-6506. or
e-mail at [email-masked]

Three black and white photos are being sent to you as seperate e-mail
packages. We will have color photos available this evening.  Call or e-mail
us if you want them sent.