Subject: Anti-Gay Marriage Bill - HRC Talking Ponts and Sample Message
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 13:19:00 -0400

________________________________________________________

Issue Talking Points from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

                      THE DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT

Religious political extremists have orchestrated the introduction of anti-gay
marriage bills in at least 33 states and the U.S. Congress in an
election-year strategy to score political points through gratuitous
gay-bashing.  DOMA, the "Defense of Marriage Act" is now before the U.S.
Congress, defining marriage in federal law as a "legal union between one man
and one woman," and also attempts to give states the authority to reject the
legality of same-sex marriages performed in any other state.

Marriage between two individuals of the same sex is not currently legal
anywhere in the United States.  The Hawaii courts are currently considering
whether the state of Hawaii will extend equal marriage rights to same sex
couples, but a final decision is not due for about 2 years. The opposition
will claim that a decision is imminent, however the court action scheduled
for this September is a lower court trial.  The Hawaii Supreme Court will
probably not consider this issue until 1997, with a final decision coming as
late as 1998.  Thirty-three legislatures have considered this issue.
 Seventeen of those states decided against moving forward with legislation.

DOMA is another example of the general, pervasive discrimination gay men and
lesbians face in society.  Not only can we not marry each other anywhere in
this country, we can be fired from our jobs simply for being lesbian or gay.
 No federal law protects people from discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation.

DOMA is premature and purely political: it counteracts a Hawaii     decision
that is still years away.

Congress has bigger, more important problems that it should be      concerned
with.  Attempting to legislate social issues is           mean-spirited and
inappropriate.

The so-called "Defense of Marriage Act" is nothing more than
       gratuitous gay-bashing.  It does not provide any positive defensive
measures for marriage or the family.
________________________________________________________

MESSAGE:

It is clear that the Defense of Marriage Act is an election year strategy
attacking lesbian and gay Americans in order to bolster support for
Congressional extremists that lacks a pro-active, positive agenda.  Write or
call your member of Congress and urge them to strongly oppose, refuse to
co-sponsor and remove their sponsorship if they already have sponsored H.R.
3396, the "Defense of Marriage Act," - introduced by Representatives Bob Barr
(R-GA) and Steve Largent (R-OK).
________________________________________________________

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Representative or Senator,

I am writing to urge you to strongly oppose H.R. 3396, the so-called "Defense
of Marriage Act," introduced by Representatives Bob Barr(R-GA) and Steve
Largent(R-OK).  This legislation is nothing more than a coordinated election
year strategy by religious political extremists to score political points on
the backs of gay men and lesbians.

Same sex marriage is not legal anywhere in the United States.  A court case
in the state of Hawaii is currently looking at the issue, but a final
decision is not expected for about 2 years.   This kind of premature
legislation is nothing more than an attempt to divide the country by beating
up on gay men and lesbians.  Congress should be attending to the business of
the country, not attacking American citizens.

Marriage is a basic human right.  The decision of whom to marry is a deeply
personal one that should not be interfered with by the federal government.
 Despite the rhetoric of the religious political extremists, one can honor
the relationship between a man and woman without attacking lesbian and gay
people or their relationships.

I again urge you to oppose this unnecessary and divisive legislation.  I look
forward to hearing your views on this matter.

Sincerely,
________________________________________________________