Subject: DOMA protest....TODAY in Washington, DC
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 07:53:33 -0400

Gay Activists to attend Clinton church service
Protest Presidential signature

for immediate release
202.547.6780

Where: Foundry Methodist (16th & Pst NW)When:  11:00 AM (Sunday, September
 22)

 Gay activists outraged over Bill Clinton's signing the 'Defense of Marriage
Act'  will be protesting the President when he attends11 am church services
at Foundry Methodist Church at 16th and P Streets NW in Washington DC.
 'DOMA,' which effectively prohibits same sex marriage, became federal law
early Saturday morning when it was signed by the President.
 States Steve Michael, spokesman for the AIDS advocacy organization ACT UP,
"Bill Clinton shouldn't be denigrating loving, committed Gay relationships.
 He should be taking notes."  Michael, his partner of five years Wayne
Turner, and seven others were arrested on Friday at a White House protest
demanding Clinton veto DOMA.
 Rev. Harry Stock of the Metropolitan Community Church of Disciples called
the bill signing "a travasty.  This is a bad political move by the
President."
 "Clinton has once again made second class status federal law.  He can't
expect to have a hand out for money and votes while he's stabbing us in the
back with the other."  adds Wayne Turner.  
 Gay activists has organized anti-Clinton protests in New York, San
Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Washington DC.  

For additional information
call ACT UP Washington DC
at 202.547.6780