Subject: DOMA Passes House
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:09:06 -0400

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

July 12, 1996

For Immediate Release:
Contact:        Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
                Shelley Golden, Press Associate
                202-638-4200

Statement From Nancy McDonald,  Vice President, Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) In Response To The House Passage Of
H.R. 3396, "The Defense Of Marriage Act."

"The passage in the House today of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act
has sent a disturbing message to Americans: that all our family members are
not considered equal.   I fear that today's vote for DOMA is a vote for
continued intolerance of our lesbian and gay children."

McDonald testified on May 15, 1996 before the House Judiciary Constitution
Subcommittee at a hearing about H.R. 3396.

McDonald is a longtime PFLAG member, having co-founded the PFLAG Chapter in
Tulsa, Oklahoma.  She was a PFLAG Regional Director from 1991-1995, and has
been Vice President of PFLAG's national Board of Directors since October,
1995.

PFLAG is a member of the national Freedom to Marry Coalition, an
unprecedented alliance of progressive organizations supporting the freedom
to marry for same gender couples.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.  Serving more than 56,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 390 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.