Subject: Action Alert!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 15:36:38 -0400

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

**ACTION ALERT  **
**PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY **

A Federal anti-marriage bill was just introduced to Congress Wednesday, May
8, 1996 and is moving rapidly through Congress.  House hearings were held on
May 15, 1996.  PFLAG National Vice President Nancy McDonald testified at the
hearing.

The bills, named 'The Defense of Marriage Act,' have been introduced in the
House and Senate.  President Clinton has indicated that he will sign the
bill.

H.R. 3396 and S. 1740 would, for the first time, create a federal definition
of marriage.  According to this federal definition, marriage would only
include heterosexual couples and so the Federal government would not
recognize legally married same-gender couples.  

Currently, civil same-gender marriage is not permitted anywhere in the United
States.  This federal legislation, like the more than 30 anti-marriage
measures introduced at the state level, is in anticipation of an upcoming
Hawaii court decision that could legalize same-gender marriage in that state.
  That decision, however, will probably not be decided for two years.

Representative Barr's action follows a year in which the extremist Right that
has moved the issue of same gender marriage to the top of its anti-gay
agenda.  

ACTION:  
Contact your Representative and urge that they vote against HR 3396.   
Contact your Senator and urge that they vote against S. 1740.
Contact President Clinton and urge him to veto the "Defense of Marriage Act"

U.S. Capitol Switchboard:  202-224-3121
White House: 202-456-1414

Letter to a Representative:
 The Honorable (full name)
 United States House of Representatives
 Washington, DC 20515
 Dear Congressman or Congresswoman (last name)

Letter to a Senator:
 The Honorable (full name)
 United States Senate
 Washington, DC 20510
 Dear Senator (last name)

Letter to President Clinton:
 President Bill Clinton
 The White House 
 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
 Washington, DC 20500
 
E-mail contact information:
President Clinton: [email-masked]
To find out whether your Representative has e-mail check the House Web Site
at http://www.house.gov/
To find out whether your Senator has e-mail check the Senate Web Site at
http://www.senate.gov/

Talking points:

*  Marriage is a basic human right.  The decision of whom to marry is a
deeply personal one that should not be interfered with by the federal
government.

*  HR 3396/ S. 1740 sends a message to the American public that it is OK to
discriminate against gay and lesbian people. 

*  HR 3396/ S. 1740 is unnecessary and divisive.  Gay and lesbian people can
not get married in any state in the country.  The bill is nothing more than
an election year strategy to scapegoat gay and lesbian Americans.

*  Public discussion on same-gender marriage should continue in every state
without interference from the Federal government.  Instead, HR 3396/ S. 1740
pits states against the Federal government.

Sample letter:

Dear Representative/Senator,
     
I am writing to urge you to strongly oppose H.R. 3396/S. 1740, the so-called
"Defense of Marriage Act," introduced by Representatives Bob Barr(R-GA) and
Steve Largent(R-OK).  This legislation is nothing more than a coordinated
election year strategy by religious political extremists to score political
points on the backs of gay men and lesbians.

Same sex marriage is not legal anywhere in the United States.  A court case
in the state of Hawaii is currently looking at the issue, but a final
decision is not expected for about 2 years.   This kind of premature
legislation is nothing more than an attempt to divide the country by beating
up on gay men and lesbians.  Congress should be attending to the business of
the country, not attacking American citizens.
     
Marriage is a basic human right.  The decision of whom to marry is a deeply
personal one that should not be interfered with by the federal government.
 Despite the rhetoric of the religious political extremists, one can honor
the relationship between a man and woman without attacking lesbian and gay
people or their relationships.
     
I again urge you to oppose this unnecessary and divisive legislation.  I look
forward to hearing your views on this matter.
     
Sincerely,