Subject: NGLTF URGES PRESIDENT TO OPPOSE DOMA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:35:24 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483  ext. 3303 [email-masked] 
or Kerry Lobel (202) 332-6483  ext. 3307or [email-masked]
************************************
NGLTF MEETS WITH WHITE HOUSE ;

 PARAS URGES ADMINISTRATION TO "OPPOSE SECOND CLASS 
CITIZENSHIP FOR GAY AND LESBIAN FAMILIES"

 Washington, D.C., May 13, 1996....In a meeting today with White House
officials, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Executive Director Melinda
Paras urged the Administration to oppose "second class citizenship" for gay
and lesbian families.  Paras, referring to the anti-gay Defense of Marriage
Act, pointed to the President's own upbringing in a "non-traditional" family
in urging his opposition to the measure. 

 Paras, in a meeting with White House liaison Marsha Scott, cautioned against
the President bending to Right-wing efforts to undermine the millions of
families who do not fit the Right-wing's definition of the so-called
"traditional family."  

 Upon leaving the meeting Paras learned of the statement issued by White
House spokesman Mike McCurry reflecting the President's opposition to
same-gender marriage.  Paras issued the following statement in response to
the White House announcement: 
 
 "The President knows from his own family experience what it is like to be
part of a "non-traditional" family.  He should reject this construct of
second class citizenship for families that don't fit the narrow image of the
"traditional family" as defined by the religious right-wing.  This
anti-marriage legislation is one piece of a larger agenda to attack and
undermine millions of American families, including  gay and lesbian families,
single parent households, families in which grandparents are raising
children, and couples without children.

 "NGLTF calls on the President to use the power of his office to move the
American people beyond this wedge issue and into a new understanding of the
roles all our families can play in America's future."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a progressive organization that
has supported grassroots organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since
1973.  Since its inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually
every major initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF
helps to strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at
the state level while connecting these activities to a national vision for
change.

###