Subject: NGLTF DENOUNCES DOMA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 09:00:11 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact:  Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 [email-masked]       or
Kerry Lobel (202) 332-6483 ext. 3307
[email-masked]
************************************
NGLTF URGES CONGRESS TO "TAKE THE MORAL HIGH 
GROUND, NOT THE POLITICAL LOW ROAD"

 Washington, D.C., May 15, 1996...."Anti-family," "shrewd," and
"mean-spirited" were just a few of the words officials with the National Gay
and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) used today to describe the Defense of Marriage
Act.

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the country's oldest national gay
and lesbian civil rights organization, called on Congressional leaders to
oppose federal anti-marriage legislation.  "We urge all members of Congress,
particularly Senator Dole and Speaker Gingrich, to take the moral high
ground, not the political low road, in responding to this legislation,"
stated Executive Director Melinda Paras.  "Congress should reject the
political extremists who seek to have their narrow view of families become
the law of the land," added Paras. 

 Citing constitutional reasons, real historical experience of most American
families, and the current prohibition against same-gender marriage in all 50
states, the Task Force, in testimony submitted to the House Judiciary
subcommittee on the Constitution, argued that backers of this legislation are
attempting to "short-circuit very important debate about family issues in our
country" and create a "wedge issue this election year between fair-minded
Americans and those who promote hatred and intolerance in this country."

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force has been working with activists
throughout the country in battling state anti-marriage measures, beginning in
South Dakota in 1995 when the first of these measures was introduced.  The
Task Force produced the widely used organizing manual To Have and To Hold
 which has since been spotlighted by a national Right-wing group, The Report,
in its recently released video The Ultimate Target of the Gay Agenda: Same
Sex Marriages.  The work of the Task Force in defeating anti-marriage
legislation has also received the attention of another national right-wing
group, Focus on the Family.

- END -