Subject: CLINTON SUPPORTS DOMA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 17:10:24 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact:  Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 [email-masked]      
************************************
NGLTF DENOUNCES PRESIDENT'S INTENTION TO SUPPORT DOMA
"Possible Political Gain Not Worth the 
Abandonment of Principles"

 Washington, D.C., May 22, 1996... According to news reports, the White House
indicated today that President Clinton would sign the Defense of Marriage Act
(DOMA) should it pass Congress.

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF), the nation's oldest
national lesbian and gay civil rights organization criticized the President's
decision as unnecessary, divisive, and an assault on the integrity of gay and
lesbian families.

 The following is a statement from NGLTF on news reports from that the
President will sign DOMA should it cross his desk.  The statement is
attributable to NGLTF executive director Melinda Paras:

 "We are deeply disappointed and dismayed at the announcement today that the
President is willing and ready to sign into law anti-marriage legislation.
 In making this decision, the President has abandoned his commitment to
tolerance, compassion, and fairness.  The President's support of DOMA is a
slap in the face of gay and lesbian families across America.   The President
knows from his own family experience what it is like to be part of a
'non-traditional' family.  He should reject this construct of second class
citizenship for families that don't fit the narrow image of the 'traditional
family' as defined by Right Wing extremists.  

 "President Clinton's support of DOMA is also a political misstep.   By
announcing now that he is willing to sign this unnecessary and divisive
legislation, the President is giving undeserved momentum to this bill.  The
President also should understand that leadership and courage garners greater
respect - and political support - - than actions based on political
expediency.

 "Mr. President, whatever possible political gain your handlers think you
will achieve by this maneuver is not worth your abandonment of the principles
of fairness and equality for all."

- end -