Subject: HRC Slams House Leadership Over Hearing on Anti-Gay Marriage Legislation
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 17:59:32 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
Monday, May 13, 1996

         HRC SLAMS HOUSE LEADERSHIP OVER HEARING 
            ON ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE LEGISLATION 

     Terms Hearing Gratuitous Election-Year Gay-Bashing

                       Go To HRC's Website For 
                           More Information At
                          http://www.hrcusa.org

WASHINGTON -- The Human Rights Campaign criticized the House
leadership today for putting the first federal anti-gay marriage
bill on a fast track, scheduling a public hearing on the
legislation a mere week after its introduction.

     "The eagerness of the House leadership to push this bill
just proves this is a calculated election-year strategy to force
this issue onto the national agenda," said Elizabeth Birch, HRC's
executive director. "This is a political trap set by the
Republican Party to snare President Clinton and any other
fair-minded Democrat."

     A hearing on the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act" is
scheduled for Wednesday, May 15, at 1:30 p.m. before the House
Judiciary subcommittee on the Constitution. The bill was
introduced May 7 by Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga. A companion measure was
introduced in the Senate the following day, sponsored by Sen. Don
Nickles, R-Okla., and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas,
the presumptive GOP nominee for president. 

     These bills come on the heels of an orchestrated campaign by
religious political extremists to introduce anti-gay marriage
bills in every state legislature. To date, anti-gay marriage
bills have come up in at least 34 state legislatures and laws
have been passed in eight states.

     "All these bills are being positioned as pre-emptive strikes
against the possibility that the state of Hawaii may soon
legalize same-sex marriage," said Daniel Zingale, HRC political
director. "However, Hawaii is unlikely to approve same-sex
marriage for at least two years, so these states -- and now the
federal government -- are legislating against a non-existent
institution."

     Last week, HRC released a report, "Wedded to Intolerance,"
which exposes the false and defamatory rhetoric being used by
religious political organizations as they spread anti-marriage
bills from statehouse to statehouse, and attempt to inject this
issue into the presidential campaign. The eight states that have
passed laws that would ban marriage between people of the same
sex are: Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma, South
Dakota and Utah. Anti-gay marriage legislation remains pending in
nine states, and measures were defeated, withdrawn or killed in
17 states.

     The Human Rights Campaign, is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support, and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in
the community.

                                             - 30 -