Subject: Anti-Gay Marriage Bill Unconstitutional Federal Intrusion, HRC Says.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 14:19:15 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 15, 1996
                                
                   ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILL UNCONSTITUTIONAL
                                FEDERAL INTRUSION, HRC SAYS

      Largest National Gay Political Group Dubs Congressional Hearing
                              A Bob Dole for President Publicity Stunt'

              We Need Your Help in Sending Messages To Congress
                               And The President to Oppose This Bill
 Our online Action Center makes it fast and easy!    http://www.hrcusa.org

WASHINGTON --  Legislation to give the federal government power
over marriage for the first time in U.S. history is an
unconstitutional intrusion into state sovereignty, Elizabeth
Birch, executive director of the Human Rights Campaign, testified
today.

     "In the entire history of this nation -- for over 200 years
-- never has the federal government intervened in the state
regulation of marriage. Never," Birch told the House Judiciary
subcommittee on the Constitution. "So what is really going on
here? I am afraid this legislation will be viewed as a
mean-spirited, cynical election-year ploy .... Surely the
Congress has much better things to do -- like attend to the
business of the nation."

     Birch, former chief litigator for Apple Computer, explained
how the bill -- H.R. 3396 -- unconstitutionally infringes on
states' rights.

     "The definition and administration of marriage has in all
previous times in our history been left to the states," Birch
said. "The proposed legislation is not only a bad idea, it is an
unprecedented intrusion into state sovereignty and is
unconstitutional."

     Birch pointed out that Congress is not empowered to limit
the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution, under
which states must recognize the laws and judicial proceedings of
other states.

     "If Congress can simply alter the definition of marriage at
its whim, what is to stop it from deciding at some future time
that in the interest of  family values,' marriage should only be
extended to those who can procreate or those who have entered
into first marriages but not second or third?"

     Birch also discussed the political context in which this
legislation has been introduced. "The political climate is marked
by increasing chaos, demagoguery, hatred, ignorance and upheaval
-- with the scapegoating of gay Americans on the rise," she said.

     And she noted that there is no state in the country where
people of the same sex can be legally married.

     Outside the hearing, HRC's political director, Daniel
Zingale, said, "This hearing was nothing more than a Bob Dole for
President publicity stunt."

     "The Senate  majority leader made a political calculation to
become an original co-sponsor of an identical bill in the
Senate," Zingale added. "Clearly, Dole is trying to inject this 
issue into the presidential race as he continues to flounder for
a message and an agenda."

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community.

                                            - 30 -