Subject: Judiciary SubCommittee Marks Up So-Called Defense of Marriage Act.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:54:14 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 30, 1996
                                
                JUDICIARY SUBCOMMITTEE MARKS UP
               SO-CALLED DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT
                                
    Hearing Further Proof: Politics Drives This Legislation

WASHINGTON -- The markup of the inappropriately titled "Defense
of Marriage Act" today provided further proof that this bill is
nothing more than crass election-year politics, the Human
Rights Campaign asserted.

     "The fact that proponents of this clearly unconstitutional
bill couldn't  even articulate why they think it's necessary just 
demonstrates that it's a cheap political ploy," said Kim I.
Mills, an HRC spokeswoman. "No state recognizes same-sex
marriage, and Hawaii -- the only state that might -- is at least
two years away from that decision."

     During the markup, Rep. Henry Hyde, R-Ill., who is chairman
of the full committee, claimed that the timing of the bill "is
dictated by the courts," referring to the case in Hawaii.

     "What action by what court, and when did it happen?" shot
back Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass.

     Hyde offered no answer.

     Frank then pointed out that the Hawaii  case actually began
in 1993, and that Congress felt no need until last month to
introduce legislation.

     On Wednesday, Ralph Reed, executive director of the
Christian Coalition -- which has been pushing anti-same-sex
marriage bills in legislatures across the nation -- said his
group would put its full force behind getting the federal
"Defense of Marriage" bill to President Clinton's desk before
Labor Day. "The organized gay lobby will go into orbit," Reed
said, admitting that the strategy was aimed at embarrassing
Clinton, who has said he would sign the bill as it was originally
written.

     "The only thing that will send the gay lobby into orbit is
if Ralph Reed and his boss, Pat Robertson, wind up in a position
where they are telling President Bob Dole whom to nominate to the
Supreme Court," said David M. Smith, HRC's communications
director.

     The "Defense of Marriage Act" was reported out of the House
Judiciary subcommittee on the Constitution by a vote of 8-4.
Committee members split strictly across party lines.

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community.
                                             - 30 -