Subject: Clinton Anti-Gay Marriage Ad 'A Mistake' And Political Miscalculation, HRC Asser
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:31:23 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
<A HREF="http://www.hrcusa.org">
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
</A>
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, Oct. 15, 1996
                                
     CLINTON ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE AD  'A MISTAKE' AND POLITICAL
                   MISCALCULATION, HRC ASSERTS
    Ad Contradicts Clinton's Previous Statements, Birch Says

WASHINGTON -- The Human Rights Campaign slammed a radio ad
created by the Clinton-Gore campaign boasting that President
Clinton signed the anti-gay "Defense of Marriage Act."

     "This ad is a mistake and a serious political
miscalculation," said Elizabeth Birch, HRC's executive director.
"It was designed to  pander to a segment of the electorate that
isn't going to support the president under any circumstances. It
completely contradicts the president's past statements."

     The White House has complained in the past that the
so-called Defense of Marriage Act was nothing more than
"gay-baiting" and "a classic use of wedge politics that are
designed to provoke anxieties and fears." The president  signed
the bill in the middle of the night, minimizing media attention.

     The Clinton ad was a calculated response to a recent Bob
Dole ad titled "Moral Crisis," which scapegoats gay people and
grovels for the votes of extremists. The Clinton spot, which was
running on many of the same Christian radio stations, sought to
counter the Dole ad by promoting Clinton's work to protect
religious freedom.

     "Signing the unconstitutional  Defense of Marriage Act' is
nothing to be proud of, and Bill Clinton knows this," Birch said.

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community.
                             - 30 -