Subject: HRC Denounces White House Announcement - President Will Sign Anti-Marriage Bill
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:55:05 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 22, 1996

         HRC DENOUNCES WHTEHOUSE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT
                 PRESIDENT WILL SIGN ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILL
                                
           San Francisco Members Disinvite Stephanopoulous in Protest
                                
                          JOIN OUR VOICE TO THE PRESIDENT
  SEND HIM MESSASGES THROUGH OUR ONLINE ACTION CENTER
                                            http://www.hrcusa.org

     White House Press Secretary Mike McCurry announced today that President
Clinton will sign the federal anti-gay marriage bill if it reaches his desk
in its current form.

     "This is a capitulation to religious political extremists," said
Elizabeth Birch, executive director of the Human Rights Campaign, the largest
national lesbian and gay political organization.  "This bill is a ploy by the
floundering Dole for President campaign to drive a wedge between the gay
community and President Clinton."

     As a result of McCurry's announcement, HRC members in San Francisco
disinvited Clinton adviser George Stephanopoulos, who had agreed  to speak at
their annual dinner June 15.

     "This is a time to fortify the community," said Russ Roeca, co-chair of
the event. "We need voices of strength and hope, and at the moment, George
Stephanopoulos is neither."

     The bill, inappropriately named the "Defense of Marriage Act," attempts
to bring the definition of marriage into the federal arena for the first time
in U.S. history. While the bill purports to address the imminent legalization
of same-sex marriage by the state of Hawaii, the fact is that the Hawaii case
will not be resolved for at least two years. 

     The Human Rights Campaign had hoped the president would see the bill for
what it is -- a transparent attempt to score political points on the backs of
gay and lesbian Americans.

     "Even though the president has long opposed same-sex marriage, there is
absolutely no need for him to sign this cynically timed and mean-spirited
bill, which is aimed at  outlawing something that does not even exist," Birch
said. "It is deeply disappointing that the president has chosen the
politically expedient course of action rather than standing up to
gratuitous gay-baiting."

     The Human Rights Campaign will fight this atrocious legislation with the
full force of its 175,000 members, Birch said, adding, "We fully expect our
supporters in the House and Senate to stand firmly against this abhorrent
gay-bashing regardless of their personal positions on same-sex marriage."

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country. It effectively
lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to ensure
that lesbian and gay Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work
and in the community.

                                                   - 30 -