Subject: Re: DOMA protest....TODAY in Washington, DC
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:08:56 -0400

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power ACT UP Washington DC
phone 202.547.6780
fax 202.547.6782

Clinton betrays Gays...
Activists protest President
contact Wayne Turner or Steve Michael 202.547.6780
Washington,  DC - - A group of Gay activists zapped Bill Clinton  today as he
attended  services at Foundry Methodist Church to protest the signing of the
'Defense of Marriage Act.'  Demonstrators expressed their outrage that
Clinton has signed into law  second class citizenship for Lesbian and Gay
Americans by effectively prohibiting the legal recognition of same sex
relationships.  Clinton opposes Gay marriage because it "damages families."
 Clinton signed 'DOMA' into law in the middle of the night
 Demonstrators diplayed signs reading"Veto Clinton Nov 5"  "Gays  sleep
around less than Clinton" "Silence=Death" and "Lester Maddox Clinton"
equating Clinton with earlier Southern Governors who attempted to block the
civil rights movement.  Approximately 10 activists joined in the hastily
arranged zap, chanting 'Shame' as the President and Mrs. Clinton were whisked
away by the Secret Service.  Several couples staged a kiss-in as an open
display of loving, committed Gay relationships.
 States Steve Michael, spokesman for the AIDS advocacy group ACT UP in
Wahsington DC, "Clinton is forever tainted as the President who betrayed  Gay
equality. "  Michael was arrested at the White House last week with his lover
of five years Wayne Turner, and nine others, demanding Clinton Veto the
Defense of Mariage Act.  Similar demonstrations have been held in New York,
San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle.
 "Clinton has no principles beyond whatever he thinks will win him votes."
 Adds Turner.  "Never has a group of supporters been promised so much and
gotten so little in return."  Activists have been highly critical of the
Clinton Administration to launch the promised 'Manhattan-project' to develop
an AIDS cure.