Subject: Re: Clinton to sign DOMA...tonite.....or in the am...before dawn
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:17:10 -0400

Remember Friday, September 20, the day lesbian and gay Americans were
singled out for second-class citizenship.  
     For the first time in US history, the legislative and executive branches
have used their combined powers to legalize discrimination against lesbian
and gay citizens. 
     President Clinton has just enshrined into law the false and inflammatory
rhetoric of Pat Robertson and the other religious extremists.  We must not
respond with physical or spiritual violence, but we must not go silently into
that dark night of intolerance and discrimination.  May God give us the
strength to do justice during the difficult and dangerous days ahead.

     The Rev. Dr. Mel White, Justice Minister, the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (with 250,000 congregants in 300 cities, the
largest Christian community with a primary ministry to lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgendered Americans.
     NOTE: 
    Among the175-250 Federal rights denied lesbian and gay Americans by the
so called "Defense of Marriage Act are these:
     Automatic Inheritance; Bereavement Leave; Burial Determination; Child
Custody; Divorce Protections; Exemption from Property Tax on Partner's Death;
Immigration Rights for Foreign Spouse; Insurance Breaks; Joint Adoption and
Foster Care; Joint Bankruptcy; Join Parenting (Insurance Coverage, School
Records); Medical Decisions on Behalf of Partner; Various Property Rights;
Sick Leave to Care for Partner; Social Security Survivor Benefits; Tax
Breaks; Visitation of Partner's Children; Visitation of Partner in Hospital
or Prison, etc.
     The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches responds to
DOMA with this resolution:
     Whereas some of the earliest recorded Christian marriage were between
people of the same gender;
     Whereas clergy in the UFMCC have conducted commitment ceremonies between
people of the same gender since 1968;
     Whereas Holy Union and Holy Matrimony between two people regardless of
gender are among the rights and sacraments of UFMCC; and
      Whereas UFMCC is committed to equity and justice for all people:
      Therefore, be it resolved that the General Council of the UFMCC
endorses the right of two people regardless of gender to enter into legally
recognized marriages.   We applaud the efforts of those who bring about
equity in this area.  We encourage individuals in other states, provinces and
countries to work toward equity in the legal recognition of same-gender
marriages.
       Further, we stand in opposition to legislation which would deny
recognition of same-gender marriages or penalize individuals who conduct such
marriages or unions, and pledge to continue to conduct ceremonies of
commitment between individuals regardless of gender, even in the face of
opposition or penalty.