Subject: Found Online today
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:36:50 -0400

Following is the text of a post made today by an online friend who is Rector
of an Episcopal parish in Rhode Island.  I hope you all find it as moving as
I did:

Subj:  J'Refuse
Date:  96-09-11 10:30:25 EDT
From:  ErdeNunley      

I've sent the following letter to colleagues in ministry, my vestry, and my
congregation. 

*****************************************
September 11, 1996

Dear sisters and brothers in Christ:

I've been praying about this for quite a while, and after the passage of the
"Defense of Marriage Act" in the Senate, sure to be signed by President
Clinton, I've been led to take action.

As of today, I'm no longer going to sign marriage licenses or act in any way
as an agent of the State for mixed-gender couples - not until same-gender
couples are respected on an equal footing in both Federal and State law. 

I will continue to bless the Christian relationships of couples of mixed
gender just as I will bless couples of the same gender, as is fitting for a
priest - it is, after all, the couple who act as the ministers in Holy
Matrimony; the ordained convey blessing on what already exists by the grace
of God. 

Those who are privileged to undertake the legal contract of marriage have
other avenues available to them to do so - they may obtain the services of a
judge, a J.P. or some other secular official to have their relationship
recognized in law. But as a priest of Christ's Church I will not act as a
legal representative of Government in perpetuating policies that are
discriminatory, immoral and unjust, and as a citizen I must protest when my
partner and I are denied the equal protection of the laws guaranteed to us in
the Constitution.

I also view this as an opportunity to teach all couples about the covenantal
nature of Christian marriage, which transcends the contractual aspects of a
legal relationship.

God bless you all, and may God move the heart of this country toward justice.

In Christ's Love,

Jan Nunley+ 
Rector
St. Peter's and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
Providence, RI 02908-5255
http://www.ids.net/saintpanda

And, for all of those who keep sending me Email asking me to take you off
"my" list, I'm using Michael's list.  I don't have one of my own.