Subject: More on Sen. Kohl Outing in Milwaukee
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:38:53 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 02:40:31 -0400
From:[email-masked]
Subject: Re: More on Herb Kohl Outing in Milwaukee

On September 11th, the day after Sen. Kohl (D-WI) voted for the "Defense
of Marriage Act," twenty-five angry protesters gathered outside his
Milwaukee office.  They carried signs stating "Senator Kohl - Come Out or
Get Out" and "Senator Kohl Supports Discrimination." 

While there has been widespread behind the scenes speculation that Sen. Kohl
is a gay man for many years, this demonstration marked the first time a
significant number of gays and lesbians brought the issue into the streets to
garner mainstream attention.

Sen. Kohl has established a poor record on queer issues, including votes for
the "don't ask, don't tell" military policy, the HIV immigration ban, DOMA
and the 1993 bill which would have removed federal funding for any secondary
and high school which exhibited "tolerance" towards gay and lesbian kids.  

Until his vote for DOMA, only a small number of people had attempted to
discuss the Senator's sexual orientation publicly.  The local public access
television show. The Queer Program" has openly discussed the topic for over 3
years.

Stories have abound for years of the private gay parties the Senator hosted
prior to taking office.  The hosts of "The Queer Program" have found an eye
witness account of the Senator being in a Washington D.C. gay bar, and the
Washington press corps routinely refer to Senator Kohl as the "Dairy Queen."

Perhaps the earliest indicator of Herb Kohl's sexual preference to the
public was an incident in the mid-1970's when he was still just a wealthy
businessman.  He was left bound and gagged naked in the bathroom of his
high security apartment in Milwaukee.  His watch and some money were
stolen. 

While Mr. Kohl insisted that two young men must have gotten onto the roof
of his high security building and lowered themselves to his balcony and
forced open the door, a much more believable explanation of the event has
been that he was the victim of a sex adventure gone bad.  The incident
made the papers. 

After the Shepherd Express article was printed, the Senator cancelled a
scheduled an appearance at the AIDS Walk Wisconsin on Sunday.  On Tuesday,
Milwaukee's only daily paper, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, began to
discuss the article. 

(What else do you want?)