Subject: New Executive Order: Access to Classified Information

From: Leonard Hirsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 15:54:22 -0400

August 3, 1995

MEMORANDUM FOR GAY AND LESBIAN COMMUNITY LEADERS

FROM: Marsha Scott, Deputy Assistant to the President for Political
Affairs

RE: New Executive Order--"Access to Classified Information."

I am pleased and excited to report to you that tomorrow the President
will announce the establishment of a new Executive Order which for
the first time in history provides clear and  unmistakable language
that the government does not and shall not discriminate on the basis
of sexual orientation in the granting of access to classified
information.

The Executive Order, entitled "Access to Classified Information",
establishes a uniform, government-wide Federal personnel security
program for all federal employees who are being considered for
initial or continued access to classified government information.
Until now, government employees were subject to a patchwork system of
regulations which were, at best, unclear or ambiguous on the topic.
With the President's new Order, which is effective immediately upon
its publication in the Federal Register, it is mandated that:

     "The United States government does not discriminate on the basis
     of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or
     sexual orientation in granting access to classified
     information."

     " ..No inference concerning the standards in this section may be
     raised solely on the basis of the sexual orientation of the
     employee."

The language and tone of the Order, developed at the President's
direction by the National Security Council at the White House,
together with input from the Department of Justice and the Office of
Management and Budget, is definite, precise and binding
government-wide. It means that for the first time the government has
clearly stated its policy on the subject--that no one will be
discriminated against in access to classified material on the
basis of sexual orientation.
======================================================
From: Leonard Hirsch, President, Federal GLOBE (Gay, Lesbian,
Bisexual Employees of the Federal Government) [[email-masked]]

The Executive Order signed by President Clinton takes a very large
step in removing the legal barriers to equal treatment in the Federal
workforce. By explicitly including sexual orientation in the
non-discrimination statement, he finally expurgates decades of legal
harassment and discrimination.  The Executive Order is the first
step.  Federal GLOBE and the many department and agency GLOBEs will
work with the new Executive Security Panel and within the agencies to
make certain that this Executive Order is properly implemented.

For the first time, lesbians and gays can believe that they can be
treated equally with heterosexuals in the process of being considered
for and obtaining security clearances in the Federal government.  The
order gives us that possibility.  But the process of eliminating
homophobia, homohatred, and ignorance around lesbian and gay issues
is long from done.  Only with hard work, organizing, educating, and
vigilant oversight will we make this possibility an actuality. 
Federal GLOBE will continue to work within the government to
eliminate harassment and discrimination and make the workplace one
that is accepting and welcoming of all Americans.

Federal GLOBE salutes the President in taking this step.  We thank
Congressman Barney Frank, who played a pivotal role in the formation
and enunciation of this policy.  FBI Director Louis Freeh and OPM
Director James King, among many others in the administration, worked
hard to ensure that this Executive Order fully protected the needs of
the country and the rights of the federal employees.  Federal GLOBE
also thanks the many others around the country who worked to make
certain that the information upon which this policy was built was 
accurate, particularly NOGLSTP (National Organization of Gay and
Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals) who worked closely
with the Government Accounting Office in developing the background
information.  

This important step by the President is based on the hard and
long-term work of many. It is a fitting addition to the
accomplishments of Frank Kameny who lost his security clearance and
job in 1957 and has led the fight for new and enlightened rules ever
since.  We look forward making certain that his dream of a
discrimination-free workplace continues to be made a reality.
*****************************************************************