Subject: AIDS activist challenges Clinton in NY Primary
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 09:58:27 -0500

New York Petition Drive Begins

Through the use of the internet the support of AIDS activists in New York it
is clear that Bill Clinton will be forced to deal with AIDS during the March
7th New York Primary.

Wayne Turner chair of AIDS Cure Campaign reports that signature gathering is
going well. 

following is the letter Turner has circulated on the internet describing the
New York phase of the campaign and attached is a file that describes the
strategy of the campaign.

Those wishing to help with the campaign may do so by calling 202.986.0435,
writing to 25 U Street NW, Washington, DC  20001-1010 or emailing at
[email-masked].

NEW YORKERS NEEDED TO SIGN PETITIONS
CIRCULATE PETITIONS AND BECOME DELEGATES TO THE NATIONAL CONVENTION

WE NEED PETITIONS RETURNED BY JANUARY 2ND

AIDS CURE CAMPAIGN, '96
& AIDS VOTE, '96

Dear Friend:
 Enclosed you will find information on an exciting project to promote AIDS
issues during the 1996 elections, AIDS Cure Campaign, '96.  HIV positive
activist Steve Michael from ACT UP in Washington, DC is challenging Bill
Clinton for the Democratic nomination for President, campaigning on the same
AIDS platform and promises that helped Clinton win the White House in 1992.

 Running for President is a vehicle to help put the national spotlight back
on the AIDS epidemic.  We are also seeking people who are HIV positive or
have AIDS to become delegates to the Democratic National Convention, and are
organizing a national voter registration drive of people affected by AIDS
through local service providers and advocacy organizations.
 Our goal is simple: to make Bill Clinton a better President on AIDS issues
between now and the general election, and send a message to politicians
everywhere that AIDS is a primary issue.  As the National Commission on AIDS
recommended to Clinton in its final report in 1993, "What should be done is
not complicated.  But it requires leadership, a plan, and the national
resolve to implement it."

 Your help is urgently needed to help gather the 5000 signatures necessary to
place an HIV positive activist on the New York State primary ballot.  (A
sample is enclosed.  Please duplicate and circulate, or contact AIDS Cure
Campaign for additional pages). 

 * Candidates for federal office are entitled to greatly discounted ad rates
for television commercials that, under FCC regulations, cannot be censored.

 *AIDS Cure Campaign can secure twenty minutes at prime time for nominating
and seconding speeches at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

 *Steve Michael has filed for the first presidential primary in New
Hampshire.  Articles and discussions of AIDS Cure Campaign have appeared
throughout the Granite State, in addition to the New York Times, the
Washington Times, CNN, the Advocate, and Poz Magazine.

 The New York primary is key to our strategy for success.  Through grassroots
organizing and on a shoe string budget, we can have a dramatic impact.
 Contributions to the Steve Michael Campaign Committee can help us qualify
for federal matching funds.  

 As then Governor Clinton said in 1992, "We can't afford another four years
of a President who puts AIDS on the back burner."  

 Please join our efforts and help make AIDS an issue in 1996.

Wayne Turner