Subject: AIDS agency abuses in Delaware
From: M Petrelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 14:59:30 EDT

(dear friends,
the following message ws received at the www.accountabilityproject.com web
site.  i am sharing with you because the author of the email gave me his
permission to post it around the web.  
i would love some feedback regarding the questions raised in paragaph three of
the message below.  thanks.  --mp)

Hello:

Just a short note to make you aware of the situation here in Delaware.

The Sussex County AIDS Committee [SCAC] (Rehoboth Beach, DE) -- the
once, all-volunteer, beloved ASO -- seemingly has gone the way of
similar agencies, e.g., Food & Friends, WDC.  Per the SCAC Newsletter
financial report for '97, they took in 200K + and spent only 42K on
direct services to PWA's, 27K of which was provided by Ryan White Funds
via the Delaware HIV Consortium (DHC).  They had a surplus of 60K for
'97 which went unaccounted for in the report.

By the way, the 27K contract (Ryan White Funds) for Food Services was
not put out for bid (RFP), but awarded to SCAC by DHC "in an
emergency."  DHC claims that they didn't have enough time to issue an
RFP.  This, of course, is bullshit because most smaller agencies knew
several months before the contract award that "Food Provision" was in
the DHC '97 plan.

The question is:  How does one hold these folks accountable without
causing the "discredidation" of the "whistle blower" that I've seen so
many times before -- personally & professionally.

Regards,

Sean Casey

----------------- End Forwarded Message -----------------