Subject: For Immediate Release: REV. JIMMY CREECH AND FAMILY TO TAKE PART IN
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:56:38 EST

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Ms. Maaza Mengiste, UFMCC
Director of Communications
(310) 360-8640 x226
[email-masked]
http://www.ufmcc.com

REV. JIMMY CREECH AND FAMILY TO TAKE PART IN HISTORIC WEDDING DURING MMOW

Washington, DC - January 27, 2000 - "I'm very pleased to announce that the 
Rev. Jimmy Creech, former United Methodist clergy and outspoken advocate for 
holy unions of same-sex marriages, will be speaking at `The Wedding', the 
largest same-sex wedding demonstration and celebration in history," said Rev. 
Elder Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of 
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC).  UFMCC is the world's largest and 
oldest spiritual organization offering positive, affirming spirituality to 
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered communities.

Rev. Jimmy Creech, a United Methodist minister for 29 years, lost his 
credentials in November 1999 after a United Methodist Church jury found him 
guilty of disobeying church law by officiating at the same-sex union of two 
North Carolina men. Creech is at the forefront in the fight to remove 
sanctions against same-sex marriages in established Protestant churches.  He 
has called the opposition to holy unions amongst same-sex couples "spiritual 
violence".  

"We aren't being faithful to the vision of Christ when we exclude gays, 
lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons," Creech stated.  Rev. Creech 
will be joined by his wife, Chris Weedy and their daughter at "The Wedding".

"The Wedding: Now More Than Ever" will take place in front of the Internal 
Revenue Service Building, located at 1111 Constitution Avenue, NW in 
Washington, D.C. on Saturday, April 29 at 10:45 a.m.  Registration for the 
April 29, 2000 "Wedding" exceeds the numbers of "The Wedding" that Rev. Perry 
conducted at the 1993 March on Washington, which was recorded at that time as 
the largest same-sex wedding demonstration and celebration in history.

The Lesbian and Gay Bands of America (L.G.B.A.), the national musical 
organization comprised of concert and marching bands from cities across 
America, will supply the romantic and inspirational music before and during 
the ceremony and demonstration. 

In addition to the L.G.B.A., the acknowledgment of two same-sex couples who 
have been together the longest will highlight the March.  Perry said, "We 
have received numerous responses, and we are still looking for two same-sex 
couples, living in America, - lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered - who 
have been together the longest."  All those who have been part of their 
same-sex relationship for an extended period of time may contact UFMCC at RevT
[email-masked] or write UFMCC - Search for Couples, 8704 Santa Monica 
Blvd., 2nd Floor, West Hollywood, CA 90069.  UFMCC is offering free hotel 
accommodations, transportation and meals during the weekend of the March to 
the selected couples.

While there have been setbacks in Alaska and Hawaii in the struggle for 
same-sex marriage rights, the recent victory in Vermont has fueled activists 
to continue fighting for equal rights. The Rev. Troy D. Perry stated, "We 
thank God for this victory, but I also urge all of you to pray with me that 
we will one day have laws that truly protect each and every one of us. I look 
forward to seeing all of you at the Millennium March on Washington April 
29-30, 2000 in Washington, DC as we stand together to demand from our 
government all our civil rights."