Subject: DC Youth Pride Day Continues for Third Year: Local Gay Youth Celebrate with Dignity
From: "Donald Hitchcock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:18:13 -0500

____________________________________
NEWS from
Youth Pride Alliance

PO Box 33161
Washington, DC 20033
www.youthpridedc.org
email: [email-masked]
____________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, March 23, 1999

Contact: 	Donald Hitchcock
		202-223-0554

DC Youth Pride Day Continues for Third Year
Local Gay Youth Celebrate with Dignity

WASHINGTON, DC -With the goal of building awareness and self-esteem among
gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and straight youth, many national
celebrities, speakers from other states, and several testimonials by youth
in the Metro DC Area will take place at the Third Annual D.C. Youth Pride
Day, scheduled to begin at noon on Saturday, April 17th in Dupont Circle,
Washington, DC.

"We hope that Youth Pride participants will leave with a much better sense
of self and a higher degree of esteem,' Founder Christopher Dyer explains.
"The fact is, there are gay, lesbian bisexual, transgendered (GLBT) and
straight supporting youth who are dying.  This day sends a powerful message
to those who are struggling that they are not alone.  Everyone deserves to
live, love and be loved."

Informational booths will be available to local and national community
organizations that provide services to gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender  youth.  Loren Becker, 18-year-old Co-Chair of DC Youth Pride
explains `The youth are taking it upon themselves to be honest and open
about the issues of GLBT youth.  We are doing our best to fill the gaps
where the system and schools fail us.'

In addition to various local bands, Youth Pride Alliance has invited
numerous youth speakers to provide testimonials on timely issues of
homophobia, coming to terms with one's sexual orientation, organizing, and
hate crimes.   A few keynote speakers will anchor the program such as
Michael Bisogno, a 16-year-old activist from Bergen County, NJ, who
dedicates his life to the safety and well being of gay, lesbian, bisexual
and transgender youth and the end of homophobia, and Bruce Murray and his
mom, Rhea Murray, a proud and eloquent PFLAG mother and author of the
powerful book Journey to Moriah.

	Brian McCarthy, 18-year-old Co-Chair of D.C. Youth Pride, says events like
D.C. Youth Pride offer a positive escape from the isolation and harassment
many gay youth face each day in school.  "We're simply providing a positive
escape, where kids can learn to respect themselves and each other - gay,
straight or anywhere in between."

The Youth Pride Alliance is a coalition of over 20 youth support and
advocacy groups in the Metro DC Area including Sexual Minority Youth
Assistance League (SMYAL), Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
(P-FLAG DC), Whitman Walker Clinic, Safe Schools Coalition of Montgomery
County, Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (GLSEN DC), seven campus
student groups, Metro Teen Aids Coalition and BiNetwork DC.

By sponsoring events such as Youth Pride Day, the Alliance strives to
achieve its goal of providing safe and healthy spaces for youth to grow. For
additional information, contact Donald Hitchcock at (202) 223-0554, call the
24-hour YPA hotline at (703) 518-0631, e-mail [email-masked], or
visit the website www.youthpridedc.org.
###