Subject: Tyler Resigns As MMOW Executive Producer
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:34:58 EST

Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  Washington, DC

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release: Nov. 5, 1999

Tyler Resigns As MMOW Executive Producer
Veteran Activist Cites "Conceptional And Creative Differences"
MMOW Continues Moving Forward, Say Organizers

Washington, DC --  Robin Tyler, the veteran lesbian activist who called for 
the first ever gay and lesbian March on Washington in 1978 and who served as 
a producer of each subsequent March, has resigned as Executive Producer of 
the Millennium March on Washington for Equality effective immediately.

Tyler cited "conceptional and creative differences" in announcing her 
resignation. The resignation was jointly announced by Tyler and the March's 
Board of Directors. Both Tyler and MMOW Board members indicated the departure 
was amicable and mutual.

"All worthwhile achievements begin with a dream," said Ann DeGroot, Co-Chair 
of the March. "Robin Tyler took the dream of another national civil rights 
march for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons and helped to 
make it a reality."

"Extraordinary things took place during Robin's tenure as Executive 
Producer," said Donna Red Wing, another of the March's four Co-Chairs. "Robin 
negotiated the largest sponsorship deal in GLBT history on behalf of the 
March, a $1 million sponsorship of cash and in-kind services by PlanetOut."

"I wish only good things for the Millennium March," said Tyler. "I was the 
first to call for this March because I believe a new generation needs to 
experience the empowerment that comes from our national marches. And the 
reality is our community still does not have one of the basic civil rights we 
demanded in our first March on Washington in 1979. That's why this March is 
so important for our civil rights."

"I still believe passionately in this March's ability to move our national 
agenda forward and to empower our community, said Tyler. "With all of the 
momentum that has been generated by the MMOW staff, the Leadership Council, 
and thousands of volunteers and local activists, the Millennium March will be 
enormously effective. The March is occuring at the right time and at the 
right window of opportunity. Now, because of the national excitement and 
momentum, this March is not dependent upon one person or one group of people. 
To me, this is the greatest legacy." 

"Tyler established a number of firsts, to the good of our community," said 
Nicole Murray-Ramirez. "She and her staff are primarily responsible for 
opening the Platform balloting process to make it truly democratic for the 
first time ever. In fact, she designed a balloting system that literally 
gives every member of our GLBT community the opportunity to have a voice in 
the March's Platform," he added. More than 30,000 persons have already cast 
ballots for the MMOW Platform. Balloting will continue through November 30.

"And for the first time in any GLBT civil rights demonstration, Robin had the 
foresight to reserve thousands of hotel rooms at guaranteed rates as a 
fundraiser for the March. The hotel rooms alone will generate more than a 
third of a million dollars for the nonprofit March," added Murray-Ramirez.

Duane Cramer, an MMOW Co-Chair, noted, "Robin Tyler is one of the sheroes of 
our community. She called for the very first national GLBT March in 
Minneapolis in 1978, and her passionate commitment to justice and equality 
has helped each subsequent March growth in strength and attendance."

The MMOW Board of Directors made a number of organizational changes during 
its recent board meetings in New Orleans, including creation of an Executive 
Director's position. The Executive Director will serve as the March's Chief 
Operating Officer. The Board appointed Malcolm Lazin, a Philadelphia attorney 
and Executive Director of PrideFest America, as Interim Executive Director.

"I plan no further comment on my transition from the March staff," said 
Tyler. "The most important thing is to focus on the event itself and the 
impact it will have on hundreds of thousands of lives."

The Millennium March on Washington will take place in Washington, DC on April 
30, 2000. Organizers expect more than 1 million gays, lesbians, bisexuals, 
transgendered persons, along with our friends, families and allies, to 
participate in the first human rights March of the new Millennium.

Additional information on the March on Washington is available at the March's 
official website at www.mmow.org.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Ann DeGroot, Chair of MMOW Board of Directors
Tel:  612-822-0127, Ext. 107 
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Robin Tyler, Robin Tyler Productions
Tel. 818-893-4075
E-Mail: [email-masked]