Subject: Notes From The March on Washington, 3rd Edition: August 14, 1999
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:14:38 EDT

Visit The Millennium March Website At
http://www.mmow.org

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Notes From The March \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
News of the Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  Washington, DC
Produced by the MMOW Staff
August 14, 1999

INDEX:
1.  Unprecedented Grassroots Response To Platform Balloting!
2.  Here's How Your Group Can Endorse The March On Washington 
3.  Next MMOW Board Meeting, Open House Slated For New Orleans
4.  You Can Be A Local MMOW Organizer!  Here's How!
5.  Scores of Related Events To Take Place At MMOW
5.  Letter of the Week: Rural Gay Parent Supports MMOW

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1.  Unprecedented Grassroots Response To Platform Balloting!
The recent release of the ballot for voting on the Platform of the March on 
Washington has generated the largest grassroots response in the history of 
the LGBT justice movement!  National response is unprecedented!  During the 
first week alone, ballots poured in from across the country at the rate of 
1500 per day.

"Already more than 10,000 people in our community have participated in the 
platform process for the upcoming March on Washington, and hundreds of new 
ballots continue to arrive at the March offices daily," said Robin Tyler, 
veteran LGBT activist and Executive Producer of the March.

For the first time, every member of the LGBT community, along with family, 
friends and allies, has the opportunity to vote for the Platform of this 
historic national March on Washington. Hundreds of thousands of ballots are 
being distributed at community centers, bars and social clubs, LGBT 
organizations, and by the gay press and local activists across the country.

To ensure a fair and open balloting process, ballots may be sent by e-mail, 
postal mail, fax, or turned in to local March organizers. Grassroots 
activists are encouraged to reproduce and redistribute the ballot in clubs, 
to e-mail lists, and through local LGBT groups.

The ballot results will determine the key issues which are addressed on the 
stage of the March. The Platform will also be incorporated into a document 
which will be presented to all members of Congress and the President.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2.  Here's How Your Group Can Endorse The March on Washington
Official endorsements by LGBT and LGBT-friendly organizations and groups are 
welcomed!  Your group can join the more than 100 national, state and regional 
groups which are official endorsers of the Millennium March on Washington. 

Every group which endorses the March may designate a member to serve on the 
MMOW Leadership Council. This is the group overseeing state organizing 
efforts, working with fundraising, and helping to develop the Platform. This 
is an excellent way for every organization to have voice, vote and 
representation in this historic March.

Endorsement forms may be downloaded from the website at www.mmow.org or are 
available upon request by e-mail at [email-masked] or by phone at 
818-891-1748. 

By the way, if your local LGBT newspaper has not yet carried the Platform 
Ballot, please encourage them to do so.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3.  Next Board Meeting, MMOW Open House Slated For New Orleans
You are invited to join the MMOW Board of Directors at an Open House for the 
public and the press in New Orleans on Monday evening, Sept. 27th. Learn more 
about the March on Washington! Hear news of exciting projects and events. Get 
up-to-date travel information. Learn about volunteer and organizing 
opportunities. Join GLBT Vote 2000. Help our community create the most 
significant political event of the New Millennium!

The MMOW Board of Directors will also hold two days of board meetings in New 
Orleans on Sept. 27-28. These meetings are also completely open to the 
public. Plans for these meetings, including times and locations, are being 
finalized and will be announced soon.

Additional MMOW Board Meetings and Open Houses will be held Dec. 5-6 in 
Dallas, Feb. 6-7 in Portland, and March 26-27 in Washington, DC.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4.  Get Involved!  You Can Be A Local MMOW Organizer!
Want to be involved in local and regional organizing for the March on 
Washington? If you're willing to serve as a volunteer or organizer in your 
community drop us a note, give us a call or send us an e-mail.

Also, if you are interested in serving as one of the two At-Large Members of 
the MMOW Leadership Council from your state, please contact Ginny Foat, MMOW 
Associate Producer, by e-mail at [email-masked] or by phone at 818-891-1748. 
We encourage people with statewide or significant geographic connections who 
are willing to coordinate volunteer state activities to send in a letter of 
interest and resume.

The March on Washington is enjoying a groundswell of local community support. 
In the last two weeks, more than 4000 grassroots activists from every corner 
of the US have written to volunteer their services.

Whatever your skills -- office help, materials distribution, computer skills, 
phone trees, writing, transportation, etc. -- drop us a note. We'll then 
connect you with other supporters and activists in your community.

E-mail us at [email-masked] -- or call 818-891-1748.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5.  Scores of Other Events To Take Place At MMOW!
Did you know that scores of conferences, workshops, parties, concerts, and 
other events will take place before, during, and after the March on 
Washington for Equality.

If your organization is holding a public event in Washington during the 
March, please send us details, including dates, location, sponsoring 
organization and contact information.

We're compiling a list of all LGBT-related events taking place at the March 
-- and we'll be glad to help promote news of your organization's special 
event.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6.  Letter of the Week: Rural Gay Parent Supports MMOW

The following letter was received this week at the March on Washington 
offices:

"I am a gay father...I live in Rural America. I have a son 4 1/2 years of 
age. As I write this letter, I just received and read Robin Tyler's speech 
about the Millennium March to be held next April. The article was entitled 
"What Are We Marching For?" I was touched and moved so deeply that I must 
become involved somehow!  For the sake of my son...I must...For the sake of 
myself and my Pride...I must! 

"I plan on being one of the thousands at the march...and would like to know 
what I can do to help. Rural America does face a crisis. Discrimination is 
terrible here towards the gay man and woman. Name calling, ridicule, and 
beatings happen here too often!  It is time to put a STOP to all of this!  

"We need laws enacted that protect our freedoms... our rights... and our 
YOUTH!  I want my son to be able to grow up knowing that he can be proud of 
his father...that he can be proud of his father's heritage...without 
receiving ridicule, being called names, or even beaten for his feelings!  My 
son can be whatever he wants to be...and he is Damn Proud of his Dad!  He 
should be protected... no matter if he is gay or straight!  

"Please let me know how I can be actively involved in promoting this very 
important event in our history...and what I can do...even in this small rural 
area of Northern Pennsylvania...to help strengthen our stand in Gay Rural 
America...and locally where I live. I am looking forward to being part of 
this historic March in Washington, DC on April 30, 2000."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(END)

CONTACT:  [email-masked]

Visit www.mmow.org