Subject: March or Rally? Millennium March Unveils Plans
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:15:21 EST

Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  Washington, DC

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release: November 23, 1999

March or Rally?
Millennium March On Washington
Organizers Unveil Plans, Route

Washington, DC -- March or rally? 

That's been a key question about the Millennium March on Washington for 
Equality, the 4th national march for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender 
civil rights scheduled for Sunday, April 30, 2000.

Now it's official.

Like past marches, the Millennium March will feature both a civil rights 
march through the streets of Washington, DC and a massive Rally on the 
National Mall.

"An actual civil rights march through the streets of Washington, DC has been 
an integral part of every previous LGBT national march and the Millennium 
March will follow in this tradition," Malcolm Lazin and Dianne Hardy-Garcia, 
co-executive directors of the event, announced this week.

During the 1993 March on Washington, many marchers waited more than five 
hours to march and some at the end of the march arrived at the Rally as it 
was closing, due to the size of the crowd and the length of the march route. 

"We have worked with DC officials and representatives of the US Parks 
Department to devise a shorter and more direct route to the March," said 
Duane Cramer, a Co-Chair of the March and a member of the MMOW board of 
directors. "The new route will allow more than one million GLBT people along 
with our friends, families and allies to participate in both the March itself 
and the Rally on the Mall," Cramer added.

The March is scheduled to begin at 11 AM on April 30, 2000, and the 
procession will be led by state, regional and national GLBT leaders and 
organizers.

Under the plans unveiled this week, marchers will gather at The Ellipse, 
located behind The White House between 15th and 17th Streets NW. The March 
will proceed down Constitution Avenue, turn right onto 14th Street and then 
left onto the National Mall to 3rd Street, where the Main Stage will be 
located. 

"The Rally event will be framed by the Washington Monument at one end of the 
Mall and the US Capitol building at the other," noted Cramer.

The Rally will feature an impressive array of GLBT leaders, grassroots 
organizers, unsung heroes of the GLBT justice movement, political leaders, 
and entertainers, according to Lazin and Hardy-Garcia.

The Millennium March on Washington for Equality is the 4th national GLBT 
civil rights march and the first human rights march of the new millennium. A 
free e-mail newsletter is available upon request by writing [email-masked]. 

For more information on the March on Washington for Equality, visit the 
official website at www.mmow.org.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Ann DeGroot, MMOW Board Chair
Tel:  612-822-0127, Ext. 107 
Fax: 612-822-8786
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Malcolm Lazin, MMOW Co-Executive Director
Tel: 215-732-FEST
Fax: 215-732-7376
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Diane Hardy-Garcia, MMOW Co-Executive Director
Tel. 512-474-5475
Fax: 512-474-4511
E-Mail: [email-masked]