Subject: March On Washington Launches Grassroots Platform Voting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:26:03 EDT

Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  www.mmow.org

TO:  Editors, Reporters, GLBT News Outlets

FROM: Jim Birkitt, MMOW Communications

RE:  Platform For The March on Washington

I am writing...
                      ...to ask for your help and assistance.

Over the next several weeks, supporters of the Millennium March on Washington 
are launching what we believe will be the largest grassroots polling 
operation in the history of the GLBT justice movement.

We are in the process of preparing the platform for the Millennium March on 
Washington for Equality -- the 4th national GLBT march and the first human 
rights march of the new millennium.

In past marches, participants had to travel to designated cities to 
participate in the platform preparation. Now, for the first time, every 
single member of the GLBT community has the opportunity to have a direct vote 
and voice in the platform of the upcoming March on Washington.

A "Platform Survey Ballot" has been designed and will be posted on the 
March's official website at www.mmow.org. The survey will also be distributed 
by volunteers and grassroots activists across the country.

To help make the March as open, democratic and participatory as possible, we 
are asking GLBT press outlets, websites, newsletters and Internet news 
services to reproduce the "Platform Survey Ballot" as a public service to 
your constituents.

Would you be willing to carry this ballot to assure that your constituents' 
views and concerns are reflected in the platform of the March on Washington?

A copy of the "Platform Survey Ballot" appears below. Based on grassroots 
input over the past year, we have identified 13 key issues that seem to be of 
predominant concern to our communities. There is also an "Other" option for 
voters to write in additional issues.

Ballots will be collected through November 30, 1999.

A couple of other notes:

-- To help assure equity in voting, and to assure that every vote carries 
equal weight, MMOW organizers are requiring each ballot to contain a name and 
address. All ballots will be kept confidential and names will not be used, 
released or sold to any other organization or for any purpose other than MMOW.

-- Names and addresses will only be used to follow up with (1) those 
interested in serving as March volunteers and organizers, (2) those 
interested in lobbying Congress during the March, and (3) those indicating 
they have not yet registered to vote.

We deeply appreciate your assistance in getting this vital information out to 
our broad and diverse GLBT communities.

Yours,

Jim Birkitt
MMOW Communications

TEXT OF THE OFFICIAL MMOW BALLOT:

Cast Your Ballot for the
Platform of the Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  Washington, DC

You can help make history! For the first time, every member of the gay, 
lesbian, bisexual, transgendered communities -- and our families, friends and 
allies -- has the opportunity to vote for the platform of the March on 
Washington. 

Take a moment to make your voice heard by casting your vote for the agenda of 
the March on Washington. While all of the issues below are important to the 
GLBT communities, please vote for up to five of your top concerns.

Ballots must be completed in full to be counted, including name and address. 
ALL information will remain confidential.

Vote For Up To Five Issues:

___  Hate Crimes Legislation
___  Right To Marry
___  Non-Discrimination in Employment
___  Right To Serve Our Country
___  Lesbian Health Issues
___  AIDS/HIV Issues
___  Child Custody and Adoption Rights___  GLBT Aging Issues
___  Immigration Rights
___  GLBT Youth Issues
___  Overturning Anti-GLBT Laws
___  Right To Privacy/Choice
___  GLBT Global Issues
___  Other: ________________________

Name _____________________________________
E-Mail Address: ____________________________
Mailing Address ____________________________
City: ___________ State _______ Zip: __________

Do you plan to attend the March on Washington?   __Yes  __No  __Not Sure

Are you willing to serve as a volunteer in your community for the March? __ 
Yes  __No

Are you registered to vote?  __Yes  __No

Would you be willing to visit your Congressperson while attending the March?  
__Yes  __No

I self-identify as: 
__Lesbian     __Gay Male     __Transgender     __Bisexual     __Straight     
__Other

An e-mail version of this ballot is available by writing to [email-masked]

You may reproduce and distribute this ballot in your community. Ballots may 
be faxed to 818-893-1593 or mailed to:

Millennium March on Washington
Platform Ballot
15842 Chase St.
North Hills, CA  91343

(END)