Subject: Planet Q 10/99 (on the street 10/6/99)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 01:06:17 EDT

©Planet Q
October 1999

Board Strips Robin Tyler of Powers as Executive Producer of the Millennium 
March

Tyler is considering legal action against the MMOW

    The Board of Directors of the Millennium March on Washington (MMOW) 
announced the appointment of Malcolm Lazin of Philadelphia as the Interim 
Executive Director of the planned April 2000 event in Washington, D.C. The 
creation of the position of Executive Director and the appointment of Lazin 
occurred during the MMOW's board meeting September 27 and 28 in New Orleans.
    The creation of the position of Executive Director apparently was not 
welcomed by MMOW's executive producer Robin Tyler. Tyler told the members of 
the board, who spent most of the two days in closed `executive session,' that 
she was consulting an attorney about possible `breech of contract' by the 
MMOW.
    Ginny Foat, an associate producer of the MMOW announced to the Board that 
it was `unethical and illegal' to remove from Tyler her authority over 
fundraising, management of the organization, finances, legal aspects and more.
    Foat and communications director Jim Birkitt said they were considering 
resigning from the MMOW if the Board doesn't reconcile with Tyler.
    Lazin is the founder and Executive Director of Philadelphia's PrideFest 
America, the nation's largest annual gay and lesbian symposium and festival. 
He is also an attorney, having served in the US Department of Justice.
    The MMOW announced at its August meeting in Chicago an `open door' policy 
in regards to its board meetings. However, nearly all of the two day board 
meeting in New Orleans was closed to the public and the press.