Subject: MMOW Announces Staff Expansion, Organizational Growth
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:26:49 EDT

Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000  .  Washington, DC

N E W S   R E L E A S E

Millennium March on Washington for Equality
Announces Staff Expansion, Organizational Growth
Preparing for the 'Final Stretch,' Say Organizers

New Orleans -- The Millennium March on Washington for Equality (MMOW), the 
4th national LGBT civil rights march, has added a new staff position and 
strengthened its organizational base as it prepares for the final seven 
months leading up to the March. The organizational changes were made during 
the recent MMOW Board Meetings in New Orleans.

According to Ann DeGroot, March Co-Chair, "The Board of Directors of the 
Millennium March on Washington is pleased to announce the appointment of 
Malcolm Lazin as the Interim Executive Director of the March. The creation of 
the position of Executive Director will greatly assist organizing as we 
approach the final phase of planning for the March."

"Malcolm was the unanimous choice of the Board," added DeGroot.

Donna Red Wing, another of the four March co-chairs, said, "Malcolm brings 
extraordinary expertise to the position of Executive Director of the March. 
He is the founder and Executive Director of PrideFest America, the nation's 
largest annual gay and lesbian symposium and festival.  He is also an 
attorney, having served in the US Department of Justice, where he earned the 
Department's highest honor."

Among other accomplishments, Lazin chaired the Pennsylvania Crime Commission, 
supervising more than 60 law enforcement personnel investigating organized 
crime; is a progressive political activist and has long been active in the 
LGBT communities.

Why the changes?  "The MMOW is similar to a performing arts organization.  
One arm produces the show and the other runs the important day to day 
operations that make the show possible," said Nicole Murray-Ramirez, MMOW 
Co-Chair. "The Executive Director will be our Chief Operating Officer and be 
responsible to the Board for our operations. The Executive Producer will be 
responsible, under the direction of the Board, for what is on the stage on 
Sunday, April 30th. These are two very distinctly different responsibilities."

"As we approach the final eight months, we want to insure that we are well 
funded and organized for our community's largest event ever.  The response 
from around the country has been so encouraging," added Duane Cramer, 
Co-Chair.

"I am honored to take on this interim position as we do a national job search 
for an Executive Director," said Lazin. "Grassroots response to the March has 
been unprecedented and we've already received more than 30,000 ballots from 
around the country telling us what issues to address in our platform and on 
the stage.  We have received $250,000 from PlanetOut and intend to have an 
active campaign to raise funds from individual donors and foundations in 
addition to our marketing sponsorships."

"Every indication is that more than a million LGBT people, along with our 
families, friends and allies, will rally and demonstrate for our civil rights 
in Washington, DC on April 30, 2000. "But the March is not just about a 
galvanizing our community for this historic event, but also insuring that we 
get out our vote and help provide lasting benefits to local and state 
organizations from the information that we are gathering."

"As someone who has long been active in local, state and regional organizing, 
I am convinced of the power of national marches to mobilize our community. 
The Millennium March is an important, indeed historic, event in our 
emancipation. The March on Washington will powerfully demonstrate the 
difference individually and collectively we can make," added Lazin.

For more information on the March on Washington for Equality, visit the 
March's official website at www.mmow.org.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Malcolm Lazin, MMOW Interim Executive Director
Tel:  (215) 732-7375
Fax:  (215) 732-7376
E-Mail: [email-masked]