Subject: Martina Navratilova Announces Participation in Millennium March
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:17:52 EDT

From the Communications Department of
the Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000 . Washington, DC

Martina Navratilova To Speak
at Millennium March on Washington for Equality

Washington, DC -- Tennis champion, activist and author Martina Navratilova 
will be a featured keynote speaker at the Millennium March on Washington for 
Equality, the 4th national march for LGBT rights scheduled for April 30, 2000.

"We are honored that one of the great sheroes of the gay, lesbian, bisexual 
and transgendered community, and one of the greatest athletes of the 20th 
Century, will participate in the upcoming March on Washington," said Nicole 
Murray-Ramirez, co-chair of the March.

Navratilova, who won over 1400 professional matches and 167 titles during her 
professional tennis career, is also co-founder of the Rainbow Card program, 
which has distributed more than $600,000 to non-profit groups serving the 
LGBT communities since its founding in October 1995.

The Rainbow Card was conceived during Navratilova's participation in the 1993 
March on Washington and the photo on the front of the Rainbow Card was taken 
as she spoke from the main stage during that event.

"Martina Navratilova is a great role model for the LGBT communities," said 
Robin Tyler, Executive Producer of the Millennium March on Washington. "By 
coming out at the height of her career when she was the most famous athlete 
in the world, Martina made enormous personal sacrifices, including major 
corporate sponsorships and the significant revenue they brought to other 
athletes. Her courage pioneered the way for other celebrities to come out, 
and has given hope to hundreds of thousands in the LGBT movement." 

"The Rainbow Card is one of the wonderful, powerful programs birthed out of 
our national LGBT Marches on Washington and which continues to give back to 
our community," added Tyler. In addition to founding the Rainbow Card, 
Martina remains active in the ongoing work of the Rainbow Card.

Before retiring from professional tennis in 1994, Navratilova won more tennis 
championships than any other player, male or female, in history. She is the 
author of numerous books and continues to be active in the gay rights 
movement.

For more information on the Millennium March on Washington for Equality, 
contact [email-masked] or visit the MMOW Official Website at 
http://www.mmow.org.

 (END)

PRESS PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
MMOW Director of Communications
15842 Chase Street
North Hills, CA  91343

Tel. (818) 891-1748
Fax: (818) 893-1593

E-Mail: [email-masked]

Website: http://www.mmow.org