Subject: VP Gore on re-introduction of Federal Hate Crimes Bill today
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:42:28 -0500

THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Vice President
_______________________________________________________________
For Immediate Release                                   Contact:
Thursday, March 11, 1999                      (202)456-7035

                     STATEMENT BY VICE PRESIDENT GORE
                     ON THE HATE CRIMES PREVENTION ACT

     This past year, our nation witnessed a number of heinous and cowardly
hate crimes. These shameful acts of violence -- like the vicious murders of
James Byrd and Matthew Shepard, and most recently the death of Billy Jack
Gaither in Alabama -- were attacks not only on individuals, but against
America and our shared values.

     We must send a clear and strong message to all who would commit crimes
of hate: it is wrong, it is illegal, and we will catch you and punish you
to the full force of our laws.

     That is why I am very pleased that Senators Kennedy and Spector and
Representatives Gephardt, Conyers, Morella and others are reintroducing the
Hate Crimes Prevention Act. This legislation would remove needless
jurisdictional requirements and give the Department of Justice the power to
prosecute hate crimes committed for any reason.

     I urge members of Congress to come together in one voice on this
issue. I urge them stand together against intolerance, against prejudice,
and against violent and senseless bigotry and pass the Hate Crimes
Prevention Act.

                                    ###