Subject: Clinton appoints Sean Malony Assistant to the President
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:16:52 -0400

Note:  Maloney becomes the third openly gay or lesbian Assistant to the
President in history (the highest rank at the White House), joining Clinton
appointees Virginia Apuzzo and Karen Tramontano.

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Press Secretary
_______________________________________________________________________
For Immediate Release                              May 21, 1999

                     STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

     President Clinton has named Sean Maloney as Assistant to the President
and Staff Secretary.  He served as Deputy Assistant to the President and
Deputy Staff Secretary since October 1998 and as Special Assistant to the
President and Deputy Staff Secretary prior to that, beginning in July 1997.
As Staff Secretary, Mr. Maloney is responsible for clearing all written
material going to and from the Oval Office, including all presidential
briefing and decision memos, executive orders, directives and legislation.

     "Sean Maloney has done an outstanding job of managing the flow of
information to and from my desk and providing important counsel," President
Clinton said.  "He is a valued member of my senior staff in a critically
important job.  I am confident that he will continue to serve with
distinction as Staff Secretary."

     Mr. Maloney began working for then Governor Clinton during the 1992
presidential primaries and worked on the 1992 Democratic Convention in New
York City, and later at the Clinton/Gore campaign headquarters in Little
Rock, Arkansas.  Following the 1992 campaign, Maloney joined the law firm
of Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York where he specialized in
institutional and criminal investigations.

     Mr. Maloney earned his B.A. in International Relations from the
University of Virginia in 1988; and received a J.D. from the University of
Virginia School of Law in 1992. From June 1988, to June 1989, he was a
volunteer social worker in rural Peru, where he focused on community
development programs.

     Mr. Maloney and his partner, Randy Florke, have a 9-year-old son.

                                 30-30-30