Subject: Activist Kate Kendell To Speak At March on Washington
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:54:46 EDT

From the Communications Department of
the Millennium March on Washington for Equality
April 30, 2000 . Washington, DC

Kate Kendell, Executive Director of
National Center for Lesbian Rights, To Speak
At Millennium March on Washington for Equality

Washington, DC -- Veteran lesbian activist Kate Kendell, Executive Director 
of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, will be a featured speaker at the 
Millennium March on Washington for Equality, the 4th national march for LGBT 
rights scheduled for April 30, 2000.

The National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national, progressive, feminist, 
multicultural legal center devoted to advancing the rights and safety of 
lesbians and their families.

"Kate Kendell is one of the most respected activists in our movement," said 
Robin Tyler, Executive Producer of the March on Washington. "As Executive 
Director of NCLR, Kate has been at the forefront of historic litigation of 
lesbian child custody and same-sex adoption cases, and has served thousands 
of legal clients in the areas of visitation rights, adoption, same-gender 
marriage, domestic partnership, immigration and asylum and youth issues."

In addition to legal work, Kendell spends much time on the media front 
opposing leaders of the radical religious right, including the Reverend Jerry 
Falwell, the Family Research Institute and the American Family Association.

In accepting the invitation to speak at the Millennium March on Washington, 
Kendell noted, "The current climate facing lesbians is a dangerous one. While 
we are greater in number than ever before, so too are those opposed to our 
equality. Each stride we make toward securing our civil rights spurs a 
hostile, and at times dangerous, response."

"Our LGBT community is stronger, thanks to the work of Kate Kendell and the 
National Center for Lesbian Rights," added Tyler. "Her commitment to 
litigation, public policy advocacy, free legal advice and counseling and 
public education have served to protect our families and our children. We are 
honored that she has accepted our community's invitation to address this 
historic event."

For more information on the Millennium March on Washington for Equality, 
including subscriptions to the March's free e-mail newsletter, contact 
[email-masked] or visit the MMOW Official Website at http://www.mmow.org.

 (END)

PRESS PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
MMOW Director of Communications
15842 Chase Street
North Hills, CA  91343

Tel. (818) 891-1748
Fax: (818) 893-1593

E-Mail: [email-masked]

Website: http://www.mmow.org