Subject: Steve Michael update
From: M Petrelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:13:55 EDT

PLEASE REPOST!!    PLEASE REPOST!!     PLEASE REPOST!!

dear friends,

steve michael's partner wayne turner asked me to post this update about
steve's medical condition.  unfortunately, steve is still in an intensive care
unit in the washington hospital center in d.c.  even though some of steve's
vital functions have improved since he entered the hospital, he remains in a
critical state.

wayne asks that folks send get well cards to steve care of:

act up
409 "H" street, n.e.
washington, dc 20002

if steve passes away, wayne, per steve's wishes, will organize a political
funeral to honor steve's life and activism.  if you need to talk to wayne
about this possibility, please call him at the act up/washington office and
leave him a message on the voice mail system.  that number is 202-547-9404.

also, wayne has been working with a washington post reporter who's interested
in profiling steve in the next day or so.  once that post article appears in
print, i will send it around.

finally, wayne shares his thanks with all of you who have expressed concerned
about steve.

ACT UP!!  FIGHT BACK!!  FIGHT AIDS!!

--mp

============================================

From: M Petrelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 00:48:36 EDT
Subject: An update from D.C. about Steve Michael

dear friends,

wayne turner authorized me to post this latest update about his partner steve
michael's condition.  basically, steve is in the same state today, saturday,
as he was in yesterday.  he is in a coma and on a respirator.  wayne reports
the hospital staff is doing everything they can to save steve.

i flew to d.c. yesterday to be here in the hope that steve will somehow
reawaken.  i saw wayne tonight, and considering all he has been through he
looks really good and cute.  also, tim lunceford of act up/new york, and his
partner mel stevens, the man who interrupted clinton during his speech earlier
this year at the h.r.c. dinner, are down here for the weekend because of
steve's declining health.  it was great, under the circumstances, to see all
three men.

we've decided in honor of steve michael's life and aids activism to show up at
the start of the annual aids lobbying effort known as aids watch.  this watch
is organized by n.a.p.w.a., and at 1:00 p.m. on sunday, may 3, they will begin
their afternoon briefing, which is being held at allman's temple, 1315 K
street, n.w., between 13th and 14th streets in washington, dc.

we plan to forcefully ask n.a.p.w.a., and the representatives from aids
service organziations around the country, 'why did you leave accountability
issues off the agenda?  why is n.a.p.w.a. allowing hiv negative executive
directors who are over compensated setting the p.w.a. agenda?'  we think if
steve were not in a hospital he would be leading the charge at aids watch for
an assertive accountability focus.

please join us at the aids watch briefing on sunday.  if you want more info
about accountability issues please visit www.accountabilityproject.com, or
call me in d.c. at 1-202-588-7109.  and keep thinking postive thoughts about
steve michael.

thanks for your concern.

--mp