Subject: MP letter to WBlade, re: Millenium March for ER
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 02:18:33 EST

Editor
Washington Blade
February 15, 1998

To the editor,

	The Blade's February 13 story, National March Put on Pause, written by Lisa
Keen and Lou Chibbaro, Jr., contained several quotes from two lesbian leaders
that I think bear further scrutiny.

	A letter from Elizabeth Birch, executive director of the Human Rights
Campaign, cited in your article, was written after numerous gay groups became
upset about the way in which a call was issued, by HRC and a leader of the
Metropolitan Community Church, for a possible fourth gay march on Washington.
The Blade wrote "Birch also noted that 'It is proposed' that march organizers
form 'a wholly separate organization ... to deliver the march. Although [MCC]
and HRC will provide substantial support and legal guidance ... the march
corporation will raise its own revenues, and the distributions of any excess
revenues has not been decided."

	Additionally, Lorri Jean, executive director of the Los Angeles Gay and
Lesbian Community Services Center said she personally has "some questions about
whether a march on Washington is the best way for the community to focus its
time and money."  Jean further astutely observed "[t]hese things cost millions
of dollars and huge amounts of time and human resources."

	Therefore, I humbly submit, since Birch and Jean have broached the topic of
the financing needed to pull off the suggested march, that before one more step is
taken on the path to organize the "Millennium March on Washington for Equal
Rights,"  full attention must be given by the gay press to analyzing the most
current I.R.S. 990 forms for the groups these leaders work for.   

	If such a march is agreed to, will the independent entity charged with
organizing and financing it pay its top managers along the lines of what Birch and Jean
are paid? The most recent I.R.S. 990 form for Birch's organization shows she
received a total of $119,772 during fiscal year 1995.  During the same time
period, the I.R.S. 990 form for Jean's group, report she was compensated
$127,803 for her services.  Those are probably well deserved salaries.  I just
feel folks contemplating another march on the nation's capital should debate
the expected costs in the context of how the groups calling for, and those
wavering in their endorsement, spend their money now.

	I think it is necessary to ascertain now just how much Robin Tyler, a
California based concert promoter who will produce the march, is being paid for her time
and energy. Since the I.R.S. 990's for Jean's group also state that Dan Pallotta,
the Los Angeles based producer of the questionable AIDS Rides was paid $235,800 for
his fundraising and producing skills, I wonder if Tyler may be taking home
comparable dollars. 

	Of course, many gays and lesbian may feel these producer's fee are more than 
worth it, in exchange for all of the great things that can be derived from a
large gathering of gays in Washington. I simply believe every effort must be
made to have existing, albeit out of date fiscal information, be part and
parcel of this dialogue.  While there is nothing inherently wrong with paying
gay and lesbian leaders six figure salaries, there is something amiss with
willfully keeping the community in the dark about the compensation.

	I strongly encourage you, and Blade readers, to call the said groups and
verify my claims about salaries.  You can also visit the
www.accountabilityproject.com website for the condensed versions of the I.R.S.
990's cited above.  
	
Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis
2215-R Market Street, # 413
SF, CA  94114