Subject: Mobilizing the Gay Vote
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 19:09:31 EDT

The Power is in the Vote
by Michael Grantham

      This year, several districts across the nation will decide what kind of
leadership they'll be sending to Washington, DC. As you read this paper, an
extremist faction of the religious right is busy mobilizing thousands of
voters to take advantage of a predicted low voter turn out.
	One at a time, their votes will continue building a hostile political
landscape set on dividing and deconstructing the power bases and rights of
religious, ethnic, and sexual minority groups well into the next century. 
	Not one supporter of this agenda thinks their vote doesn't matter, and that
simple resolve has the collective gravity to pull America into a black hole of
ill politics. Unfortunately, all we have to do to let this happen is nothing
at all, and that's exactly what they're counting on.
	Having real-life experiences with issues such as employment discrimination,
hate crimes,  and the inaccessibility of civic marriage, gays and lesbians are
asking how they can help make their lives better. Every year at Pride events
across the country, organizations are joined by a handful of the millions of
participants to do just that.
	Membership organizations offer several activities that take both time and
money to help navigate these civil rights issues through state and national
houses of congress. Some organizations, however, fail to engage otherwise
active gays and lesbians because of complicated or politically heavy messages
that simply do not resonate over the day's festive atmosphere.
	By simply encouraging gays and lesbians to vote, a majority of our agenda can
be accomplished in as little as two to three days out of an election cycle.
The free and simple act of voting makes any political group's demand for time
and money less of a need when leaders are elected that stand for fairness and
equality.
	Voting is the most elegant defense against the mobilization of right-wing
fanaticism in this county. In fact, such groups only come to power during
times of apathy. History tells a grim story of what happens when the general
goodwill of people is not an offense against self-serving divisive politics.	
	Attempts by religious political extremists to hi-jack unalienable rights for
a privileged few undermine dignified relations among diverse peoples. The
condemnation of difference is a poignant foreshadow for what has historically
led to egregious abridgments of freedoms.
	Ironically, the spirit of conservatism would dictate the protection of these
freedoms for all. Moreover, as true conservatives vote for fairness and
equality, they will ally themselves with a coalition of civil rights partners
in standing against what amounts to nothing more than political terrorism.
	For non-political gays and lesbians, the act of voting is the easiest, most
proactive step into community involvement. Invested support of fair-minded
agendas in any form makes the agenda one's own. When gays and lesbians
exercise the power to vote, they have made a political statement of ownership
in the broader principles of fairness and equality for all.
	This year will initiate the political climate of a new century for all
Americans regardless of who votes. It is important to make sure the sum of
that vote stands for all Americans, including gays and lesbians. This Pride
season, pledge to do nothing less than exercising the freedom to vote.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Grantham is a consultant living in Washington, DC. For permission to
reprint, call 202-628-4160 or email [email-masked]