Subject: Marches Bring Movement to Forefront of New Century
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 19:14:12 EDT

Marches Bring Movement to Forefront of New Century
by Michael Grantham
April 28, 1998

	Over the next year and a half the LGBT community will be preparing for one of
the broadest displays of civic awareness and determination. Through the
Millenium March and the 50 States March, LGBTs from across the country will
gather in the nation's capital and Main Street America to stand for fairness
and equality.
	On the grassroots level, a call for both the 50 States March and Millenium
March has several people perplexed and asking for some direction from national
leadership. At the heart of this confusion is a perpetuated notion that we
must choose between the two.
	The National Mall in Washington, DC is the proposed site for the Millenium
March in April 2000 and has played host to some of our country's most powerful
movements. Images of MLK and the Promise Keepers are now testament to the will
of the American people.
	LGBT Marches in 1979, 1987 and 1993 came together under intense scrutiny and
debate. However, no one can doubt the positive energies these marches
generated. Initiatives to organize against rising opposition transfered the
visible strength of our national marches into proactive campaigns on all
levels of government.
	Main Street America is the proposed site for the 50 States March and has
hosted such marches annually in the form of Pride events. With the amazing
work local Pride committees continue to put into making these events all-
inclusive, 2000 will be better than ever for these local marches.
	Many activist embrace the challenge proposed by the Federation of States to
become more organized as long over due. The goal of making close to 50 marches
mean something to the average American requires state groups to go beyond the
level of local Pride events organized year after year. To accomplish this many
state-wide groups still have to establish a more viable and inclusive presence
within their state's other population centers.
	Ideally, both the Millenium March and the 50 States March would focus
communities and law makers on America's overall belief in fairness and
equality. Both of these events are responses to a troubling national agenda
opposing civil rights for LGBTs.
	Since the 1993 March on Washington, Americans have witnessed a movement
against fairness and equality slowly threatening to place civil rights on the
defense. For religious political extremists, keeping the power of the LGBT
movement isolated and in a reactionary position is a victory couched in the
strategy of "divide and conquer."
	As one of the strongest elements of the broader civil rights movement, LGBTs
are specifically targeted by mean-spirited legislation on all levels of
government. A general assualt is also being waged on our coalition partners.
	These assualts are often enabled by our own community's avoidable failure in
our actions and language to capture the imagination and spirit of progress. As
long as the debate continues over which event should happen, the advantage
belongs to our opposition. National leadership is in the position to resolve
these discussions with open and full support for both national actions. 
	In general, a lack of grace in the final approach has always lent opposition
the opportunity to simply yeild to our own undoing. Their victory then comes
at our own expense of time, energy and action.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Grantham is a consultant living in Washington, DC For permission to
reprint, email [email-masked] or call 202-628-4160