Subject: March on Washington in 2000
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:24:23 -0500 (EST)

First, let me say that I was shcoked and angered that the HRC and MCC made a
decision to call a march with outh consulting with the Gay community either
nationally or here in DC.  

Second, organizations that refuse to use the words Gay or Lesbian in their
name and come up with a name that says nothing about the Gay and Lesbian
struggle for equal rights and liberation or the horrific death tolls we have
faced as a result of AIDS cannot be considered leaders in the Gay and LEsbian
movement.

The last march in 1993 had it's share of problems but It is what brought
Wayne and I to Washington DC.  As a result of the hospitality of the DC Host
Committee we moved to Washington DC.  Those acts of kindness  rebuilt an ACT
UP Chapter in Washington that has been at the lead in in many important AIDS
issues in Washington DC and nationally.

Another march, properly done, with countless workshops andworking groups
could create a new national movement that would shock this government both
Republican and Democratic into action on our liberation and a cure to AIDS.

Even though we have not been invited by the Elizabeth Birch Society to
participate in a march we stand ready to do waht we can to help facilitate an
event that will move our community forward.

As a Washington DC resident and community activist  I stand ready to do what
I can to help those of you that do not live in Washington in any way that I
can.  We are working on the creation of a Gay and Lesbian March in Washington
 Host Committee.  I have already communicated with officials in DC government
that are excited about the prospect of a million, Americans coming into
Washington DC in support of Democracy for an oppressed people.

Expet support and alliances from a broad range of community groups, both Gay
and no-Gay.

Steve Michael
ACT UP Washington DC