Subject: MaCaffery lies about DC initiative on Meet the Press
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:13:10 -0400 (EDT)

ACT UP Washington DC
409 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
202.547.9404
August 10, 1997

McCaffery doublespeak on Medical Marijuana

Washington, DC  Drug Czar General Barry McCaffery condemned efforts by local
DC AIDS activists circulating petitions for Initiative 57, in an appearance
on NBC's Meet the Press.  Initiative 57, sponsored by the AIDS group ACT UP
Washington, would protect seriously ill patients and their providers from
criminal prosecution in the use of marijuana for medical treatment.  
 States Initiative 57 organizer, ACT UP's Steve Michael, who is HIV positive,
"McCaffery is flat out lying when he characterizes ACT UP members as
drug-legalization king-pins.  The Drug Czar has no business involving himself
in health policy."
 The National Institutes of Health released last week a preliminary report
confirming the efficacy of marijuana in the treatment of certain medical
conditions, including nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite among AIDS
sufferers, cancer patients undergoing chemo and radiation therapy, glaucoma,
multiple sclerosis, and other illnesses.  Activists hailed the NIH report,
which calls for further studies.  Meanwhile, ACT UP organizers for Initiative
57 are pushing ahead with the signature gathering effort to protect patients
from incarceration.
 "It isn't a question of whether marijuana should be used as medicine.  The
question is, should we jail the seriously ill in the name of public safety?"
 Michael adds, "Decisions regarding medical treatment are best determined
within the doctor-patient relationship." 
 Officials within McCaffery's office admit that they have not yet reviewed
the legislative text of Initiative 57, which explicitly prohibits the
nonmedical use of marijuana.  The local, all volunteer effort has received no
backing from those who financed similar measures passed by voters in
California and Arizona last year.  However, billionaire publisher Malcom
'Steve' Forbes Jr. launched an $150,000 media campaign against Initiative 57.
 Volunteers have until December 8 to gather approximately 16,700 signatures
of DC voters in order to place Initiative 57 on the DC ballot.  
 ACT UP's Steve Michael was one of the many protesters arrested last week
advocating for democracy and self determination for District residents.  "The
ballot initiative process is one of the few democratic tools remaining for DC
residents"  Michael adds.

 For further information on Initiative 57, including the legislative text and
list of supporters, contact ACT UP Washington at 202.547.9404.