Subject: 2 Gay men among 13 arrested for DC Democracy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 07:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

13 ARRESTED AT WHITE HOUSE PROTEST
----------------------------------------
DC ACTIVISTS DEMAND CLINTON REJECT TYRANNY
contact Wayne Turner at 202.547.9404

WASHINGTON, DC - Hundreds of DC activists protested at the White House
yesterday demanding that President Clinton reject portions of the DC 'rescue
plan' that strip DC residents of control over local affairs. 

Police arrested thirteen demonstrators engaging in civil disobedience on
behalf of democracy in the District of Columbia.  Clinton is scheduled to
sign the package into law today, despite earlier commitments to preserve home
rule and support full voting representation in Congress for District of
Columbia residents.  

 Demonstrators reflected a broad range of DC community activism, ranging from
the AIDS group ACT UP Washington, the NAACP/DC, the Umoja Party, and local
religious leaders.  Protesters displayed signs reading "Free DC" and "Home
Rule - Another Clinton Lie" with a photo of President Clinton with a
Pinnochio-nose.  

 ACT UP Washington organizer Steve Michael, who is HIV+, states, "The
President has betrayed the people of DC by failing to stand up to Republicans
in Congress.  What's going to happen now that Lauch Faircloth is in charge of
local AIDS services?"  Michael was one of the demonstrators arrested.  

Openly Gay Ward 8 community activist Phil Pannell was also arrested at the
protest.  

 Senator Faircloth, the Republican chair of the DC subcommittee, will be the
target of future demonstrations in his home state of North Carolina. 
 
 The thirteen DC residents arrested yesterday at the White House are:  Steve
Michael, Mark Thompson, Winne Gallant, Phil Pannell, Rev. Rosetta Bryson,
Toni Quick, Willie Flowers, Rick Malichi, Laurence Harris, Anise Jenkins,
Abdul-Raheen Abdullah, Leslie Wilson, and Tim Cooper.

The protest was widely reported in print by the Associated Press, Washington
Post, Washington Times and USA Today.  Activists vow to continue to protests
until democracy comes to the Nation's Capital.

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
ACT UP Washington DC
409 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
202.547.9404