Subject: ACTION ALERT: Connecticut
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:02:44 -0500 (CDT)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

[ Moderator Note:  toll-free area code "800" was used for numbers to
  legislators, however, CT area code "860" was used later.  The moderator
  tried some of the numbers and none worked with 800.  The moderator
  believes that the area code most likely was meant to be 860. ]

SUMMARY

Some state lawmakers are considering weakening CT's 'Gay Rights Law' to allow
onto public school campuses recruiters form organizations which discriminate
against gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

We expect this legislation may be introduced as early as the week of April 8.
If you will make three phone calls now, we may be able to stop this sneak
attack before it comes out of the legislative closet.

In 1992, the Gay & Lesbian Law Students Association went to court to ban
military recruiters from coming on campus. In March, the CT Supreme Court
ruled that since the military’s policies discriminate against gays, lesbians
and bisexuals (and thereby violate Connecticut’s Gay Rights Law) military
recruiters must be banned from state college and university campuses. 

Now, some lawmakers want to take away this victory by weakening CT’s Gay
Rights Bill and allowing military recruiters back on campus. Some claim that
unless we weaken the Gay Rights Law, Connecticut may loose Department of
Defense funds. But in truth, not one college or university has ever lost
money for refusing to allow military recruiters on campus.

The CT Supreme Court decision does not apply to ROTC programs which continue
on many campuses.

ACTION

1. Call the numbers listed below for either your State Senator and
Representative as well as the Democratic or Republican House Leadership. Urge
them not to revise CT’s Gay Rights Law.
2. Follow up with a letter to or meeting with your State Representative and
State Senator. When they reply, write them back, (writing back places you in
a small group of people who write their lawmakers).
3. Find three other people to do steps one and two.
4. Write a letter to you local daily or weekly newspaper.
5. Listen to talk radio and, if this becomes an issue, call in for our side.

   Who to call [ area code might be "860" instead of "800"] :

	Democrats:
   1. House Democratic Leadership: 			1-800-842-1902
   2. Your Democratic State Senator: 			1-800-842-1420
   3. Your Democratic State Representative: 		1-800-842-8267

             Republicans:
   1. House Republican Leadership: 			1-800-842-1423 
   2. Your Republican State Senator: 			1-800-842-1421
   3. Your Republican State Representative: 		1-800-842-8720

What to say:

1. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is wrong. Military recruiters
discriminate against gay, lesbian and bisexual students. We would not allow
any kind of recruiter onto the campus of a public college or university if
they represented an organization which discriminated against people of color
or religious groups. We should not allow any recruiter on a public school
campus unless the recruiter offers equal opportunity to all students.
 
2. Allowing military recruiters on campus tells lesbian, gay and bisexual
students that they are second-class citizens who do not deserve the same
opportunities and jobs as everyone else.

For more information:

Call the Connecticut Civil Liberties Union at 203.247.9823 to request a copy
of their FACT SHEET ON OPINION OF THE CT SUPREMEM COURT IN GAY AND LESBIAN
LAW STUDENTS V. BOARD OF TRUSTEES.	

Call Ken Bartshi (860.548.4431) or Jennifer Hadlock (860.232.2643) from the
UConn Law Students Association --- or --- Leslie Brett and Carolyn Gabel
(860.521.4710) from the CT Coalition for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights.

The CT Freedom to Marry Coalition supports the right of same gender couple to
enter into the responsibilities and rights of civil marriage. We hope you
will be interested and help. 

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________