Subject: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: GAY CHURCH APPROVED AS MEMBER OF COLORADO COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 19:17:53 EDT

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GAY CHURCH APPROVED AS MEMBER OF COLORADO COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
West Hollywood, CA, May 12, 2000 - Rev. Dr. Gwynne Guibord, Chief Officer: 
Office of Ecumencial and Interreligious Concerns for the Universal Fellowship 
of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC) is pleased to announce that the 
application for membership on The Colorado Council of Churches was approved 
at its full council meeting on May 4, 2000.

UFMCC is an inclusive worldwide fellowship of Christian congregations with a 
special outreach to the world's gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered 
communities. Since its founding in 1968 by The Rev. Troy D. Perry, UFMCC has 
grown into a denomination of approximately 300 churches in 18 countries. 
Worldwide membership has surpassed 45,000.

UFMCC’s application for membership had been pending and in process since 
December 1997.  This makes Colorado the fourth state, in addition to North 
Carolina, Hawaii and California, in which UFMCC is a member of a statewide 
ecumenical body.

The Colorado Council of Churches was founded over sixty years ago and is the 
expression of 12, now 13 with UFMCC, member denominations.  It’s vision and 
mission statements uphold the unity of the Body of Christ in Colorado.

The Rev. Dr. Gwynne Guibord states, "As brothers and sisters in Christ, we 
are deeply grateful to reaffirm our common witness to one Lord, one faith, 
one baptism, and one hope.  As members of the Colorado Council of Churches, 
we will endeavor to uphold the vision of the Council with integrity and 
faithfulness toward the common goal of healing the brokenness in today’s 
world.  Christ’s redemptive love has called us to this work on behalf of His 
Holy Church."

The Rev. Dr. James R. Ryan, Council Executive of the Colorado Council of 
Churches states, "The Apostle Paul made it clear that we are called to a 
ministry of reconciliation.  Our culture experiences a great deal of 
divisions that separate human beings from one another.  Perhaps it is time 
that the Church live out its call and model reconciliation with God and with 
each other."

Rev. Mark Lee, Ecumenical Liaison for the Mountain and Plains District and 
Rev. Jeremy McLeod (MCC Boulder, Colorado) were instrumental in shepherding 
UFMCC’s application toward membership.  States Rev. McLeod, "The fact that 
the Metropolitan Community Church has been accepted into full membership is a 
hopeful sign.  I’ve long dreamed of being a part of a community of faith in 
which one’s sexual orientation is about as remarkable as the color of one’s 
hair."

Rev. Mark Lee states,  "What unites us in Christ is far more than what 
divides us.  Christ calls us to work together…and to work for justice, love 
and peace."

Adds Dr. Guibord, "I am grateful for the leadership, patience and grace that 
Rev.’s Lee and McLeod exemplified in making our membership a reality."

The member denominations of the Colorado Council of Churches are: African 
Methodist Episcopal, American Baptist Churches, Christian Church (Disciples 
of Christ), Christian Methodist Episcopal, Church of the Brethren Episcopal 
Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, National Baptist Convention 
U.S.A., Presbyterian Church (USA), Roman Catholic Church, United Church of 
Christ, United Methodist Church, Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan 
Community Churches.

For additional information, contact: 

Rev. Dr. Gwynne Guibord, Chief Officer: Office of Ecumencial and 
Interreligious Concerns, UFMCC – (323) 932-1516

Rev. Dr. James R. Ryan, Council Executive, Colorado Council of Churches - 
(303) 825-4910

Re. Mark Lee, Ecumenical Liaison for the Mountain and Plains District – (970) 
495-0792