Subject: Perkins' waffling endangers children, GLAIL says
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:51:16 -0500

***NEWS RELEASE***
						Rick Cendo
						GLAIL
						[email-masked]
Archive of GLAIL positions available at:        http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/GLAIL

WILL PERKINS' WAFFLING 
ENGANGERS THE LIVES OF CHILDREN

CFV distances itself from Cook but refuses to act decisively to
prevent child molestations

Denver, Nov. 5, 1995 -- In a Denver Post article today, Colorado
For Family Values chairman Will Perkins waffled on the Colin
Cook scandal, refusing to follow Tebedo's lover-like emotional
defense of Cook but also refusing to withdraw CFV's endorsement
of Cook. 

Tebedo is expected to be fired as executive director of CFV in a
press conference in Colorado Springs tomorrow.  In an interview
with the Post, Perkins refused to deny Tebedo's imminent sacking. 

Tebedo's trouble stems from his association with militia/patriot
groups and his staunch, highly emotional defense of Colin Cook, an
"ex-gay" minister who has sexually molested young men and
children who have come to him for "reparative therapy".  Among
other things, Tebedo had a gay activist and a minister arrested this
summer for trying to pass out factual information about Cook's past
sexual molesations at a CFV "Time to Stand Seminar" at which
Cook was the featured speaker. 

Perkins told the Post: "The ball is in Dr. Cook's corner. . .It's up to
him to clarify the situation." 

"First of all, Cook is not a doctor.  He has no M.D. or Ph.D.  He's
not even a licensed or certified counselor," said Rick Cendo,
Colorado president of Gays and Lesbians Against Immoral
Lifestyle.  "His one and only claim to legitimacy is that Colorado
for Family Values has endorsed, promoted and advertised him
across the state as a wonderful sexual counselor for parents to take
their innocent children to.  Perkins continues Tebedo's big lie and
his insane negligence by untruthfully referring to Cook as a doctor."   

"Second, whenever Cook has been given the opportunity to "clarify
the situation," it has only led to more sexual molestations.  He was
given Perkins' opportunity in 1979.  He said he wasn't going to
molest boys and young men.  Then he went on molesting until an
investigation by the gay community exposed him in 1986.  He was
again given Perkins' opportunity in 1993.  Again, he went on
molesting until the gay community again investigated him and
handed its information over to Virginia Culver of The Denver Post
in August.  The Post published an expose of Cook on October 27,
1995,"  Cendo said.    

"In the name of God, Mr. Perkins, please, please don't let Colin
Cook 'clarify the situation' once again,"  Cendo said.  

Perkins must follow the three demands that gay and lesbian groups
across Colorado have for the last 9 days urged CFV to follow. 
They are: 

1.   Contact each family CFV has a record of attending its "Time to
Stand" seminars and explaining to them that CFV was tragically
wrong in promoting Colin Cook and that they should no longer
view Cook as a trustworthy counselor to sexually troubled youth.  

2.   Run advertisements warning about Colin Cook and
acknowledging CFV's mistake in every newspaper in which it ran
advertisements this summer describing Cook as someone "who
once lived the homosexual lifestyle and now helps others escape it
through his ministry, FaithQuest."

3.   Send a letter explaining CFV's actions and mistake to everyone
on CFV's mailing list.  The letter should also ask CFV members to
contact anyone that they know to have attended a CFV "Time To
Stand" seminar and to alert these contacts that CFV was wrong to
promote Cook the way that it did. 

--30--