Subject: CFV immoral on Colin Cook scandal
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:51:53 -0500

***NEWS RELEASE***

                                                                 Richard Cendo 
                                                                 GLAIL

                                                                 [email-masked]

COLORADO FOR FAMILY VALUES TAKES 
DISHONEST, IMMORAL APPROACH
TO COLIN COOK SCANDAL 

November 3, 1995 -- One week after The Denver Post showed that
Colorado For Family Values' "ex-gay" minister is sexually
molesting counselees, CFV has continued to remain silent, neither
attempting to explain its minister's behavior nor moving swiftly to
limit his damage. 

On the day that the Denver Post showed that the Rev. Colin Cook is
involved in sexual molestations, including phone sex with his young
counselees, several state gay organizations demanded that CFV
cease its endorsement and promotion of Cook, apologize to the
families it misled, and run correctional advertisements in all the
newspaper it had originally advertised Cook as a successful sexual
counselor. 

The gay organizations included Equality Colorado, Ground Zero
and the Colorado chapter of Gays and Lesbians Against Immoral
Lifestyles. 

So far, CFV and its executive director Kevin Tebedo have remained
silent, avoiding comment and publicity on the matter.  

"While CFV may be following the most P.R.-savvy approach, it is
also the approach that puts Colorado's youth at greatest risk," said
Rick Cendo, Colorado president of Gays and Lesbians Against
Immoral Lifestyles.  

"CFV has promoted Colin Cook as a great counselor for Colorado's
youth all summer long.  Cook has been the featured speaker at
numerous CFV 'Time to Stand' seminars across the state. Tebedo
has advertised Cook in the Rocky Mountain News and other
papers; he has used police force to cover up information about
Cook's past sexual molestations. In the Denver Post, Tebedo
described Cook as 'top-notch',"  Cendo said. 

"This is the time when CFV and Tebedo should be moving swiftly
to admit their wrongs, correct the record, and warn Colorado's
families and youth that CFV and Tebedo have tragically misled
them," Cendo said.  "Yet now, for perhaps the first time in his life,
Tebedo is silent." 

"Tragically, the one time that Kevin Tebedo's words could do some
good, rather than harm, is also the first time that Kevin Tebedo has
chosen to remain silent." 

--30--