Subject: Fwd: CFV orders arrest of pamphleters
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 12:04:22 -0400

Contact:  Gary Hamner
                     GLAIL
                     303-440-5055

ANTI-GAY LEADER ORDERS ARREST OF FACT-SHEET DISTRIBUTORS

Kevin Tebedo goes ballistic at attempt to expose CFV's
               in-house child molester

Police physically expel gay leader from jail after they
              learn of planned hunger strike

    Denver, May 3, 1995 --  Kevin Tebedo, executive director of Colorado for 
Family Values (CFV) yesterday ordered the arrest of Richard Cendo, president 
of Gays and Lesbians Against Immoral Lifestyles (GLAIL), because Cendo was 
handing out a fact-sheet outside CFV's "Time To Stand" seminar in Littleton.

    In the seminar, Tebedo was promoting Colin Cook, a man with a long history 
of child molestation, as a "minister" who should be entrusted with sexually 
troubled children and young men.

    Cendo was on the sidewalk outside the Mission Hills Church entrance, 
politely handing out a fact sheet that details some of the history of Cook's 
child molestation while Cook was the "ex-gay" minister of Quest.  The fact 
sheet quotes excerpts from the Lawson Report, an investigation into Cook's 
sexual molestations.  The Lawson Report prompted the Seventh-day Adventist 
church to abolish Quest., Cook's first "ex-gay" ministry.

    At about 7 p.m., the time the CFV meeting was scheduled to begin, Tebedo 
came storming out the church entrance, where a security guard was pulling 
Cendo's jacket in an attempt to keep Cendo from handing out his fact sheets.  
Tebedo went directly to Cendo and, with Tebedo's face beet red and his finger 
jabbing in the air, yelled at Cendo, "You wanna get arrested?  You wanna get 
arrested?  OK, you're arrested."   Tebedo then ordered security guards to call 
police, who subsequently arrested Cendo and a second fact-sheet distributor on 
charges of criminal trespass.   The sidewalk in front of the CFV entrance was 
on Mission Hills Church property.

    At Arapahoe County jail, Cendo announced his intention to refuse bail, 
stay in jail,  and to begin a hunger strike to call attention to Tebedo's 
promotion of a child molester as a "minister" for sexually troubled youth. 
Cendo planned to continue the hunger strike until CFV at the very least agreed 
to inform parents of Cook's history at CFV meetings that promote Cook as an 
"ex-gay" minister.

    About 20 minutes after Cendo said he would stay in jail on a hunger 
strike, the jail's desk sergeant ordered Cendo released immediately, even 
though bail had never been paid or even set. When Cendo refused to leave the 
jail, four deputy sheriffs forcibly expelled Cendo from jail by carrying him 
out of jail and into a squad car, which took Cendo back to the spot where 
police had arrested him two hours earlier.

    After being released, Cendo said, "We won't give up -- because the lives 
of children and young men and are at risk from such sick people as Kevin 
Tebedo and Colin Cook."

    "Tebedo can lie. He can mislead. He can attempt to manipulate people with 
propaganda videos such as "Gay Rights, Special Rights." And, yes, he can have 
us arrested for trying to give people the facts," Cendo said.  "But we won't 
give up, and eventually the truth will prevail."