Subject: PFLAG Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:46:42 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 6, 1997

CONTACT:
Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
Karyn Robinson, [email-masked]
202-638-4200

GILL FOUNDATION AWARDS PFLAG THREE YEAR FIELD TRAINING GRANT

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has
received a $50,000 grant from the Gill Foundation, a national philanthropic
organization based in Colorado.  The grant is earmarked for use during 1997
to support PFLAG's field services program, which provides technical
assistance and training to more than 68,000 member families, as they work
to support, educate and advocate in their communities. The Gill Foundation
has committed to follow this grant with two more grants in 1998 and 1999,
each for $25,000.

        In making this grant, the Gill Foundation recognizes PFLAG's
ongoing work, as well as its potential to organize and hone the
bridge-building skills of a primarily non-gay grassroots network to create
understanding and acceptance of gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals,  and the
legal and social issues that face them. "We believe PFLAG's field program
will be a model for lesbian and gay organizations across the country," said
Katherine Pease, Executive Director of the Gill Foundation.

        "We are pleased to have the continued support of the Gill
Foundation for our grassroots organizing," said PFLAG Executive Director
Sandra Gillis.   "The Gill Foundation has been a generous partner in other
ongoing education and organizing efforts, including Project Open Mind and
our computer systems renovation.  We look forward to a long and healthy
relationship with the Foundation."

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their
families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities nationwide, with more than 68,000 household
members.

        For more information about the Gill Foundation, contact Kelvin
McNeill, Director, Communications & Community Outreach (719-473-4455).

                                                     ###