Subject: Pat Robertson responds to Supreme Court decision
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:45:29 -0400

Date:	96-05-21 16:29:52 EDT
From:	Watch97

Today's 700 Club commentary on yesterday's Supreme Court decision regarding
the unconstitutionality of Colorado's Amendment 2, centered on disbelief that
the Court would elevate the criminal behavior of the homosexual community to
special status without overruling Bowers vs. Hardwick. Pat Robertson declared
that the people had spoken when they had turned back the ERA and when they
had voted on Amendment 2.

Here are excerpts from what Pat Robertson and Jay Sekulow told the viewers of
the 700 Club:

Pat Robertson: "Jay, how does Kennedy get off of this? He's dead wrong.
Didn't he read the law? Didn't the counsel presenting the case do it
properly?

Jay Sekulow--the usually smooth-talking Chief Counsel of the American Center
for Law and Justice, who said he had worried since October that the case had
not gone well--had analyzed the opinion yesterday and come up with this: "And
the answer is, there is nothing in that opinion, as bad as it is, or lousy it
(?) opinion--there's nothing in that opinion that requires us to surrender
our faith in practice. And that means when we're in the workplace, in our
businesses, whatever it might be, we don't have to do this if it violates our
conscience. And we, we have to make sure that  we  don't in the same hand,
under, lose focus--on that, this is the first case of what will be many more
to come and we have to continue the fight."

Sekulow then said that he hoped the black community realized that
 homosexuals "have now been equated with racial minorities" which is "not
factually true."

Sekulow  revealed that later he would be speaking with Rep. Charles Canady
(R-FL), chairman of the Subcommittee on the Constitution: "And I'll tell you
what we could do. We could get a constitutional amendment that protects the
family.  And that's what we need right now, more important than anything else
I can think of, would be a constitutional amendment that says that morals
still mean something in this country."

Pat Robertson responded with: "I think very frankly that thing would roll
through Congress. I cannot imagine a Congressman in an election year voting
against a pro-family amendment to the constitution."

Jay Sekulow: "I think you're right, Pat, and our job at the American Center
of Law and Justice now is to see  that become real."

You can call the 700 Club at (800) 716-FACT to request the Fact Sheet for
today, "Same Sex Marriages: Changing the Face of the Family."

(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...and then we disseminate information that the public might never
otherwise receive.)