Subject: GLUD leaders applaud U.S. Supreme Court decision in "shameful
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 12:19:50 -0400

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Monday, May 20, 1996

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,329<

GLUD leaders applaud U.S. Supreme Court decision in "shameful" Colorado case

SALT LAKE CITY - Saying that it closes the book on a "shameful" part of
American history, leaders of the political-action committee Gay and Lesbian
Utah Democrats(TM) applauded today the announcement by the U.S. Supreme Court
to declare a controversial Colorado ballot initiative to be unconstitutional.
The justices decided in a 6-to-3 vote to uphold a Colorado Supreme Court
ruling that the 1992 measure denies bisexual, gay and lesbian people equal
protection under the U.S. Constitution because the measure would have
prohibited state or local governments from adopting laws to prohibit
discrimination based on sexual orientation.

"The Court agrees that laws like this are intended to shut out the political
involvement of bisexual, gay and lesbian Americans by refusing us the ability
to make laws which protect our equal rights in the communities where we live
and work," GLUD Founder David Nelson said. "This ruling should close the book
on this shameful part of our nation's history when the majority in some
cities and states would refuse the equal protection of some of their citizens
based only on sexual orientation."

"This decision confirms for us that the rightful place for bisexual, gay and
lesbian Americans is in the voting booths, the city councils, the state
legislatures and the Congress to make change that protect us," GLUD Chair
Michael Aaron said. "The path has been cleared for us to continue our fight
for equal protection in our cities and towns, and in the White House and
Congress. Our first step remains the constitutional rights to vote and equal
protection."

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.