Subject: Raise the rainbow/denver
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 94 18:10:08

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 20, 1994
CONTACT: ERIKA FREIBERGER
412-825-8100

DENVER RALLY TO FEATURE NATIONAL LEADERS OF GAY GAMES, STONEWALL 25 AND 
RAISE THE RAINBOW

DENVER --  Denver is invited to a major local pride rally to gear up for 
activities that will take place in New York City '94, on Saturday, 
February 5, 1994, from 8:00 - 10:00 p.m. at The Metro Express, 314 East 
13th Avenue (Denver).  Local and national representatives from Stonewall 25,
"Raise The Rainbow," and the Gay Games IV and Cultural Festival will be on 
hand to answer questions about the biggest combined celebration of gay pride
in history, scheduled to take place in New York City between June 18 and 
June 26, 1994.  The free rally will feature dynamic guest speakers including
Cleve Jones, founder of the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt, plus 
brochures, travel information, and on-site event registration.

The Denver rally kicks off a national series of local events planned
by the three organizations to provide information regarding the unpreceden-
ted international pride events scheduled for New York City in June, 1994.  
"The cooperation between "Raise The Rainbow", the Games and Stonewall 25 in
coordinating these rallies reflects the spirit and unity of the community we
will witness in New York next June," according to Jones, who works with 
"Raise The Rainbow" as chair of The Stadtlanders National AIDS Community 
Advisory Board.

Stonewall 25 will provide information on the International March on
the United Nations to Affirm the Human Rights of Lesbian and Gay People, the
community's largest single event ever, to be held on June 26, 1994 in New 
York City.  Stonewall 25 commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Stonewall
Rebellion, when police conducted a routine raid on the Stonewall Inn and 
patrons fought back, sparking the modern day lesbian and gay rights movement.  
The March calls upon the United Nations and its member nations to protect 
the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, and people who
have AIDS or who are HIV positive, under the Universal Declaration of Human 
Rights.

Jones will introduce "Raise The Rainbow," the first major fund-
raising project of the Stadtlanders Foundation.  "Raise The Rainbow" will 
create the world's largest, one-mile long rainbow flag to be unfurled one 
time only, during the Stonewall 25 March in New York City on June 26, 1994.
Every individual who registers to carry the flag will receive a commemora-
tive strip of the flag following the event.  In addition, all costs for 
"Raise The Rainbow" are underwritten by Stadtlanders Pharmacy, so every 
dollar donated by marchers will go directly to benefit AIDS organizations 
nationwide.  Call 800-NYC-1994 for more information.

A spokesperson will also be on hand to introduce Gay Games IV & 
Cultural Festival, a celebration of unity and personal achievement to be 
held in and around New York City from June 18 to June 25.  The event is open
to all, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or HIV status.  Games
organizers expect 15,000 athletes from over 40 countries to participate in 
31 sports, with additional 5,000 Cultural Festival participants and 500,000
spectators.
Travel information to New York City for these events is available by
calling the official travel information number of Stonewall 25, 
1-800-216-1880.