Subject: Colorado products dumped in protest

From: "M.A. WAND, OFFICE OF FOREIGN ADMISSIONS, 492-2446"@ucsu.Colorado.EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 1993 23:55:08 -0600

Gazette Telegraph, Colorado Springs
May 15, 1993, pg B13

Gay activists march in East

Associated Press

NEW YORK--To protest Colorado's anti-gay amendment, a group of gay activists 
marched through Greenwich Village on Thursday and dumped boxes of Colorado 
products into the Hudson River.

It was a symbolic dumping, however, and the boxes were quickly retrieved so as 
not to add to the pollution.

Chanting "We're here, we're queer, we won't drink Coors beer," a band of about 
150 protesters held a rally in Sheridan Square, near the site of the famous 
Stonewall riots that heralded the start of the gay movement in the late 1960s.

Colorado's Amendment 2, passed by voters in the state in November, voided 
existing civil rights protection in jobs and housing for gay men and lesbians 
in Denver, Aspen and Boulder.  It also bars other towns from passing ordinances 
that provide civil rights protection.

New York City Councilman Tom Duane, City Comptroller Elizabeth Holtzman and 
Terry Schleder, director and founder of Boycott Colorado Inc, were among the 
speakers who urged a boycott of Colorado products.

Boxes of Coors beer, Celestial Seasonings tea and Holly Sugar were held up at 
the rally, called the Colorado Tea Party, as three products made by the state's 
biggest companies.

Schleder thanked New Yorkers for their support of the Colorado boycott.  She 
pointed out a list of 107 restaurants in the city that no longer sell Colorado 
products. 

"It is a black issue, a feminist issue, a civil rights issue," she said.  "Now 
it's spreading."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corrections, new info, and requests for info: [email-masked]
Administrative comments                     : [email-masked]
General Discussion                          : [email-masked]
Boulder/Denver area local meetings/events   : [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe to a list, send mail to [email-masked], with
        subscribe <list-name>
in the BODY of the message.  For multiple lists, use multiple lines.