The OUT FRONT
Colorado's Gay Community Forum
12/09/92

Colorado Legal Initiatives Project
(C.L.I.P.) What is it?
By Jim McNulty
Colorado Legal Initiatives Project (CLIP) is the lesbian and gay
organization coordinating and facilitating the legal challenge to overturn
Amendment 2.  The Amendment seeks to legalize discrimination of homosexuals
and bisexuals and prohibit Colorado government entities from ever enacting
laws which protect lesbians, gays, and bisexuals.

  As well as the legal battle to overturn Amendment 2, CLIP is in the
process of developing plans and strategies consistent with their purpose of
educating and reviewing legal matters pertinent to our community.  CLIP
will also provide legal support for Colorado's lesbian, gay, and bisexual
community, assisting victims of the discrimination and violence which
Amendment 2 seeks to foster.

  CLIP consists of openly lesbian and gay attorneys Mary Celeste, Larry
Hoyt, Lynn Palma, and Patrick Stedman.  There are two other members Q
Richard Evans of the Mayor's office and Linda Fowler, chairperson of the
Mayor's Gay and Lesbian Advisory Committee.  CLIP is currently working in
association with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Lambda Legal
Defense and Education Fund, and former Associate Justice of the Colorado
Supreme Court, Jean Dubosky.  It is important to note that all of the
attorneys involved in this litigation are unpaid volunteers; however, the
costs in this landmark litigation could be immense.  Some of the expenses
will include docket fees, depositions and transcripts of proceedings, jury
fees, witness fees and mileage, travel, expert witness fees and reports,
staff and office overhead, and process serving expenses.

  CLIP is applying for a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status, so contributions are
not currently tax deductible.  To contribute, make checks payable to CLIP
and mail to CLIP, P.O. Box 44447, Denver CO 80201-4447.  Their phone number
is 830-2100.
  It is likely that this case will be appealed all the way to the United
States Supreme Court.  It is extremely important that the lesbian, gay, and
bisexual community and our allies rally behind CLIP if they are to complete
the job that our futures depend on.